My Royal Icing...trouble Still!

Baking By bluejeannes Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm by bluejeannes

bluejeannes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejeannes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 11

Im on my 7th batch, and 3rd recipe. I found something that I think will work for me. I beat the meringue powder and the water till it forms stiff peaks then I slowly add the icing sugar. I find that I can't add more than 3 cups because then it's just too thick and I can't even squeeze it out of the piping bag. So 2 - 2 1/2 cups is working for me. I have to beat if for 20 minutes with my handheld mixer. And even when I do that....it's still shiny. So I have a couple questions: Why is it still shiny? Do I need to let it sit (covered of course) before I use it? What kind of texture am I looking for (for making flowers)? It seems I get it either too thin or too thick. Too thin is with only 2 cups, and too thick is anywhere passed 2 1/2 cups...I just can't seem to get it right. I need to have these flowers done for my class by Monday. Please help!

10 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 11

Is it holding it's shape? If that is the case then I wouldn't worry about the shine so much.

As far as the recipe, I have only used Wiltons. How much water is in the new recipe, you may need more to start with.

When you first make it it should be able to hold it's peak and will look alot like toothpaste. After it sits for a while it takes on a fluffy almost marshmallow cream consistancy and needs to be stired back up well before using it.

I wish I was in your kitchen to actually see what you were doing or to atleast see the icing. icon_sad.gif

bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #3 of 11

Ya, I wish someone could actually see me make it and tell me what Im doing wrong!
It's not holding it's shape until it gets so thick that I can't even push it through my piping bag. And before that it's just shiny and melting.
The recipe calls for 5 tbsp of water. I used 5, I used 6 and I used 7 and no luck.
When I started out (the one batch where I beat the meringue powder and the water together till it was stiff peaks then slowly added icing sugar) it seemed to be good but it just wouldn't hold itself, shiny and melting the WHOLE time until it just got too thick.
It really never looked like toothpaste OR marshmallow cream. I wish it did! lol
Seriously, there must be something wrong, like, how can I actually go through 8 batches of royal icing and have NONE of them turn out?!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 11

I take it there has been a previous post regarding this but all I have to go on is what you state here.
Are you SURE all your quipment is CLEAN? That includes the spoon &/or measure used do not have any grease on them.
Royal is tricky but should not be THAT hard to makeicon_smile.gif
Are you using plastics? Those are almost impossible to get ALL the grease out of unless you bought new and use it ONLY for royal icing. It's also not good to store royal in plastic as it breathes and will dry it out much quicker than glass.

bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 11

Ya, sorry, here's the link for my post from before:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6952435-.html#6952435

I've been using a glass bowl and everything is really clean (cleaned with lemon juice)
I know, it really shouldn't be THAT hard to make, that's why Im SO frustrated!! Seriously, I keep thinking why can't I make this! I have no idea why and it feel so silly that I can't make a simple Royal Icing. It makes me so mad!!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 11

I make tons of RI. I use wilton recipe, I have never had a problem.. I know you need it asap, but for future I would invest in a stand alone mixer with a paddle. I mix 1# powdered sugar, 3Tbs meringue powder, 6 Tbs H20 all together, I scrape it down once, then mix for about 7minutes on med speed until kind of fluffy. (I make up to 4#at a time) I store it in a glad plastic container and then I adjust it for my needs (piping usually ok as is, flooding, I thin it out.). I can't imagine what is wrong with your icing except maybe the mixer beaters or something to do with the mixer. I'm sorry for your frustration, I've had that feeling with my edible printer.

Good Luck

bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 11

Oh, you are so right about the mixer! I really do need a stand mixer. Im asking for one for christmas! It's ALL I want! lol
What amount of powdered sugar do you put in? I couldn't tell because of the number sign thingy.
So weird that Im having this problem. I bet it IS my mixer

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 11

1 lb powdered sugar. Do you have a kohl's nearby? If you can get the 30%coupon, you can get a good deal on a kitchen aid mixer.

bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:31pm
post #9 of 11

Oh! I get it, the pound sign! lol
No, no Kohl's here...too bad!

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:10pm
post #10 of 11

This might be some help. Its a short video featuring Cile Bellefleur. In it she gives her recipe for her royal icing. Plus how to make a royal rose on a stick or dowel if thats of interest.
Cile always added cream of tartar to her royal icing recipe. Even when using meringue powder instead of egg whites.

I have the old Wilton encyclopedia's plus a couple other old wilton decorating books and they call for cream of tartar in the royal icing recipes also. The newer books do not include it. I'm guessing thats because everyone uses meringue powder instead of egg whites now.

But, Cile used cream of tartar with egg whites or with meringue powder. She had to be onto something using it as she's done some mighty incredible work with her royal recipe!

Click where it says Ciles kitchen to find her recipe, and, to see her incredible show cake!

http://www.pem.org/sites/weddedbliss/

bluejeannes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 11

what an AWESOME video...and that cake...WOW!
I like how she showed the consistency of the icing, that's something that I've been wanting to see. Mine does not look like that at all! Im going to watch it again, thanks for posting that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%