I Have No One To Talk To (About Cake!!)

Decorating By multilayered Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm by TexasSugar

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

I know I'm not the only one with this dilemma.. Aside from my family Cake decorating is my life. I live for it, when I get a new order, or figure out a great design, or solve a problem I had been working on I just want to shout it from the rooftops!!! My friends and family try to be supportive & listen but they don't really "get it" nor do they really enjoy talking (in detail) about making cakes which I completely understand. Cake Central is great for posting small things, but it would just be really nice to have a CONVERSATION with someone who shares the same passion and KNOWS what I'm talking about. Do any of you have a "cake buddy" that you talk with cause I sure wish I had one icon_smile.gif

7 replies
AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

I talk to my mom because she's always made cakes but other than her I don't have a buddy to talk to. I wish I did today though because a cake for tonight for a teachers husband collapsed. She's laughing it off but I am heartbroken. It was a carved car cake so there's no time to redo, she thinks it funny and told me that when they opened their graphics business everything was great at first but then she screwed some some stuff and felt awful. She said she nows how I feel and you can't always foresee things happening.. This was my first cake disaster and I wish I had someone to listen to me blubber over it.. I know it's only cake but it's also something this stay at home Mommy loves to do. I can't work out of the house, so this is my thing..

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 8

Have you checked if there are any cake clubs in your area? If there aren't any, maybe you can start one.

I'm not sure where you are, but you can check www.meetup.com to see if there are cake clubs around you.

dcarylmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcarylmk Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 8

I'm just like you! I think about cake all day and even dream about it at night! icon_eek.gif My family listens with one ear! icon_smile.gif I do have some fabulous cake friends though that I met through the Michigan Ices group. You might try looking for your local chapter and see if they have any meetings that you can attend and then meet people that way. Your cakes are great!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #5 of 8

I have a friend, she talks floral, I talk cake...even exchange. My family listens but mostly they just like to eat. I've converted my daughter though...she now speaks cake!

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 8

I agree, you can try to find a cake club in your area or try to attend the ices DOS in your area. There you would be able to meet up with other decorators in your area.

You do not have to be a member of ICES to attend the DOS either.

Jeliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeliz Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 8

Have you tried making cake buddies on Facebook? I've found some people on there (through other cake friends) and it's easier to bounce ideas of each other.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 8

I actually have a few people that don't do cakes that are good about listening to me work through cake ideas.

My family will also listen, but there is that point where you see their eyes start to glaze over.

I agree with friending people on face book or you can also send a pm to people on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%