Needs Some Advice

Decorating By texas_c Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm by divinecc

texas_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_c Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 4

I am very new to cake making and have only done it for my own children until now. I am making a 3 tier cake and need some advice on proper storing. I plan to begin baking my cakes and leveling them then freezing (I have researched freezing techniques and found very helpful ideas on this site) My question is should I frost my cake before freezing if I plan on putting fondant on or wait and frost it when I am ready to put on the fondant? I know I need the icing to make the fondant stick, so which is the best process?

Also, I need to have the cake completed ahead of time (the day before). Do I put the fondant covered cake in the fridge until delivery or leave it at room temp?

Thank you in advance for any help!

3 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! Put the frosting on after then cover in fondant, if it takes you awhile to crumb coat all of your tiers and your buttercream crust just lightly spray with water so fondant will stick. I always have my cakes finished the day before, it really depends on your filling??? If it is stable then you are fine to leave the cake out, if not I would refrigerate it. Make sure you take the cake out of the fridge and let it come to room temp before delivery or the fondant will be sticky. HTH! Good Luck!

texas_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texas_c Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 4

No problem, hope things went well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%