3D Cake With Ganache?

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm by CakesbyCarla

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 6

hi everyone, iv got my 2nd 3D cake to do next week. i was wondering if i could use chocolate ganache as the filling? would it be sturdy enough for a carved 3D cake? i want to add some flavour to it as the last one i did i only used BC because i was worried about it slipping and combined with such a plain sponge (again due to structer) it was a little bland and boring! if ganache is a bad idea what else could i use? TIA

5 replies
CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 6

I think you'd be okay. I've used ganache before as a filling for a really big 3 cake (11 x 15 with a 6 inch round on top) and it didn't wiggle. It was covered in buttercream and then a coating of ganache on top of that. No fondant or anything and it held up just fine.

You may want to give it a little bit after you fill and crumb coat it so it has time to set up, but I think you'd be safe in carving it an hour or so after fill it - imo.

Here's my cake I filled with and covered with ganache. Big! cake.....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1771405

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 6

I think it will be fine. If you are still worried about slippage, you could always whip the ganache to make it a bit more "tacky" for insurance....

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 6

Carla, your camera cake is amazing! i think i will whip the ganache. does the cake have to be kept in the fridge?

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 6

I did a Spider man cake with whipped ganache filling and as a crumb coat. It was 25" tall, had to travel 30minutes over bumpy roads and was for an outside party. It was just fine! icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1805724

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 6

Nope - doesn't have to go in the fridge. It is fine at room temp (air conditioned is best - in a really hot area like outdoors or something it may be too much heat).

Best of luck! Hollar if you need any help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%