Advice Needed - Want To Take The Plunge To Mmf!

Decorating By still_learning Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm by imagenthatnj

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

Right now I use Pettinice and just love how it covers cake but I think regular fondant is just plain icky tasting. I've been wanting to try MMF forever. I have a few recipes saved from this site. Can anyone please share their favorite recipe and any tips? I think I've read that its important to use fresh marshmallows - is that true? Also - is it possible to get MMF to really be the same consistency as premade fondant? Some pics I've seen of MMF seem almost sticky - does that make sense? Any advice to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

13 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 14

Here's the recipe I like to use for MMF:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

I've never used anything but homemade fondant so I can't really compare it to any brand. It works really well for me.

Use good quality mashmallows and ps. And I would say they should be fresh. I run out so fast, I've never had anything but fresh, so I don't know how it would turn out otherwise. If it's too sticky, add a little more ps until you get the consistency you want. I also knead in a little crisco when it's sticky.

The key to a really smooth mmf is to make sure you sift your ps and knead, knead, knead.

I tried making MFF once and it seemed like it turned out really good, but when I tried to cover my cake I had all kinds of problems with it tearing. But I've seen a lot of people on here say they use it and it's their favorite. You may want to give that a try.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 14

debbief, thanks for the tips. Like still_learning, I've been wanting to try an alternative to ready-made fondant. I tend to prefer doing buttercream cakes, but sometimes nothing but fondant will do. Do you use this recipe for your fondant decorations, too?....does it set up and dry out a bit for easier handling? tia

debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 14

cakeythings1961 I just add a bit of tylose to my fondant for decorations. Depending on how much you use, it drys like gumpaste. I used to make gumpaste, but once I learned about tylose, that's all I use. I just take a piece of extra fondant that I didn't use to cover my cake and sprinkle a little bit of tylose on it and knead it in.

still_learning Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you, debbief! That recipe has great reviews. I'll have to give it a try if I can find some Dream Whip. I can't wait to taste this icon_smile.gif

debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 14

You're welcome still_learning. By the way, I've used this recipe without dream whip and it turns out fine. I think it's there for flavor more than anything.

Tracy7953 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy7953 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14

Try Rhondas Ultimate MMF recipe in the recipe section on this site. Its really yummy, easy to make and I love the way it stays put when you cover the cake. Good luck!

Mommy2ThreeBoys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 14

You can get dream whip in the baking isle at Wal-Mart, Kroger, ect. I found it by the jello stuff. You get two packages to a box of it. Hope that helps you find it. icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

cakeythings1961 I just add a bit of tylose to my fondant for decorations. Depending on how much you use, it drys like gumpaste. I used to make gumpaste, but once I learned about tylose, that's all I use. I just take a piece of extra fondant that I didn't use to cover my cake and sprinkle a little bit of tylose on it and knead it in.

I'm going to try this! I have to make a thank you cake this weekend, so I guess it's going to have some MMF and flowers! icon_smile.gif

still_learning Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I just made a batch of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF because I had all the ingredients on hand. So far it tastes a lot better than regular fondant so we're off to a good start icon_smile.gif I read that it has to rest - how does the texture change over time? Does it accept color like nomal fondant? I know I can add color to the melted marshmallows but I need several different colors so I left it white. Can you paint it the same as regular fondant? Has anyone added Gumtex to it? Sorry for all the questions - I'm so excited to try this out after it's had time to rest!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 14

This is the one I use. It's very consistent.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 14

I would like to try it too - here in New Zealand I have not been able to source just plain white MM unless we make it - ours always seem to have some pink ones in it which is not good if you want white or any colour without pink tones.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 14

Strathmore, then you might have to make your own white marshmallows.

But if you're going to do that, you might as well follow a regular fondant recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%