Advice Needed - Want To Take The Plunge To Mmf!

Decorating By still_learning Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm by imagenthatnj

still_learning Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 14

Right now I use Pettinice and just love how it covers cake but I think regular fondant is just plain icky tasting. I've been wanting to try MMF forever. I have a few recipes saved from this site. Can anyone please share their favorite recipe and any tips? I think I've read that its important to use fresh marshmallows - is that true? Also - is it possible to get MMF to really be the same consistency as premade fondant? Some pics I've seen of MMF seem almost sticky - does that make sense? Any advice to point me in the right direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

13 replies
debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 14

Here's the recipe I like to use for MMF:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

I've never used anything but homemade fondant so I can't really compare it to any brand. It works really well for me.

Use good quality mashmallows and ps. And I would say they should be fresh. I run out so fast, I've never had anything but fresh, so I don't know how it would turn out otherwise. If it's too sticky, add a little more ps until you get the consistency you want. I also knead in a little crisco when it's sticky.

The key to a really smooth mmf is to make sure you sift your ps and knead, knead, knead.

I tried making MFF once and it seemed like it turned out really good, but when I tried to cover my cake I had all kinds of problems with it tearing. But I've seen a lot of people on here say they use it and it's their favorite. You may want to give that a try.

cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 14

debbief, thanks for the tips. Like still_learning, I've been wanting to try an alternative to ready-made fondant. I tend to prefer doing buttercream cakes, but sometimes nothing but fondant will do. Do you use this recipe for your fondant decorations, too?....does it set up and dry out a bit for easier handling? tia

debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 14

cakeythings1961 I just add a bit of tylose to my fondant for decorations. Depending on how much you use, it drys like gumpaste. I used to make gumpaste, but once I learned about tylose, that's all I use. I just take a piece of extra fondant that I didn't use to cover my cake and sprinkle a little bit of tylose on it and knead it in.

still_learning Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you, debbief! That recipe has great reviews. I'll have to give it a try if I can find some Dream Whip. I can't wait to taste this icon_smile.gif

debbief Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 14

You're welcome still_learning. By the way, I've used this recipe without dream whip and it turns out fine. I think it's there for flavor more than anything.

Tracy7953 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 14

Try Rhondas Ultimate MMF recipe in the recipe section on this site. Its really yummy, easy to make and I love the way it stays put when you cover the cake. Good luck!

Mommy2ThreeBoys Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 14

You can get dream whip in the baking isle at Wal-Mart, Kroger, ect. I found it by the jello stuff. You get two packages to a box of it. Hope that helps you find it. icon_smile.gif

cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

cakeythings1961 I just add a bit of tylose to my fondant for decorations. Depending on how much you use, it drys like gumpaste. I used to make gumpaste, but once I learned about tylose, that's all I use. I just take a piece of extra fondant that I didn't use to cover my cake and sprinkle a little bit of tylose on it and knead it in.

I'm going to try this! I have to make a thank you cake this weekend, so I guess it's going to have some MMF and flowers! icon_smile.gif

still_learning Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks for all the helpful replies! I just made a batch of Rhonda's Ultimate MMF because I had all the ingredients on hand. So far it tastes a lot better than regular fondant so we're off to a good start icon_smile.gif I read that it has to rest - how does the texture change over time? Does it accept color like nomal fondant? I know I can add color to the melted marshmallows but I need several different colors so I left it white. Can you paint it the same as regular fondant? Has anyone added Gumtex to it? Sorry for all the questions - I'm so excited to try this out after it's had time to rest!

Ruth0209 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 14

This is the one I use. It's very consistent.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/3183/rhondas-ultimate-mmf

strathmore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:09pm
post #13 of 14

I would like to try it too - here in New Zealand I have not been able to source just plain white MM unless we make it - ours always seem to have some pink ones in it which is not good if you want white or any colour without pink tones.

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 14

Strathmore, then you might have to make your own white marshmallows.

But if you're going to do that, you might as well follow a regular fondant recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%