Fil Hasn't Paid For Cake! What To Do?

Decorating By beckback Updated 27 Sep 2010 , 10:45pm by kimbm04r

beckback Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckback Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #1 of 16

First off I am an amateur and don't have an actual business. I make cakes as a hobby and friends and family have started to order cakes for me and pay me for them.
My FIL ordered a cake a week and a half ago for his 26th wedding anniversary. I made it, and told him how much it would be and he said "That's it?" so I asked him how much he wanted to pay for it (I know, I shouldn't have said that but figured since he didn't think I was charging enough then why not get more for it!) Anyway, he said he would figure it out. He came with my MIL that night to pick up the cake, no payment. I didn't really expect it then either since my MIL was with him BUT it has now been a week and I haven't heard from him at all!
Not sure how to approach him about it...suggestions?

15 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:41am
post #2 of 16

First of all, I have no idea what the family relations are like, but I would simply suggest that you pull him aside next time you see him and tell him that you have a question and need a solution.

You tell him that When he approached you to do the cake that he seemed surprised by how little you were charging and you asked him how much he wanted to pay for it. Well, you are right you should not have asked him that, but lets go on. Anyway. you tell him that because the MIL was with him that you understood why he didn't pay for it at that time, but what exactly is holding him up from paying you now? Just ask him this as kindly as possible?

Some other things to think about and maybe include in your conversation with him:
If he had asked you to do it as a gift to both of them that would be one thing and you could have decided yea or nay, but that is not how he approached it so you had the full impression that he was willing to pay you for doing the cake. Was he happy with it? Good Luck.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #3 of 16

Call him up and tell him that you need the money for the cake--NOW. Remind him of the price you quoted and ask him when you can drop by and pick up the $$....

You made the cake. He knew he was expected to pay for the cake. He picked up the cake. Now he has to pay for the cake.............

Easy peasy.

Rae

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 16

"How was the wedding anniversary? Oh great - I hope __________ enjoyed the cake - oh, by the way, thought I would grab that cash off ya now before I completely forget cos I've just got so much on at the moment"

or

"come on now scrooge - hand over the dosh" icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 16

I can get since this is family you feel ackward asking for the money, but on the same note since this is family you should just ask for it and get it out of the way. Because the longer you wait the longer it will bug you. Chances are it all just slipped his mind.

I'd either call or email him and say something like, "I was just looking through my notes and raelised I never recieved payment for the cake. When can I stop buy and pick it up?"

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 16

Maybe I'm just too abrasive for my own good, but when it comes to family or close friends I have no problem whatsoever saying, "Dude, you owe me money. Where is it?"

It's strangers I have a hard time bugging. lol

Oh, and that abrasive approach? It really prevents people from asking to borrow money. I'm a last resort for my brothers if they're strapped for cash. I NAG until I get it back and they know it. icon_wink.gif

But, if you must be kind and not nag or beg, I would just simply play the, "OMG! I totally, like, duh, forgot" card. icon_wink.gif

I'm a petite blond, so this approach can often disarm the person to where the actual message is received in a more polite manner. My boss loves when I pull this out on a difficult client. icon_biggrin.gif

beckback Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks gals! I just sent him an email telling him that I hope he enjoyed the cake and asked him if he would like me to stop by sometime to pick up the payment since he wasn't able to when he picked the cake up.
I will let you know what happens when he replies!

beckback Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:24am
post #8 of 16

Got paid today and it was more than I had priced it for! Yay! Thank you all for your suggestions!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:43am
post #9 of 16

I can't imagine charging my parents-in-law for a cake I made for their wedding anniversary, but I guess if money is tight for you and he asked on the understanding that he'd be paying, then you should approach him for payment.

ETA: I see you got the money... thumbs_up.gif

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:05am
post #10 of 16

I am glad you got your money!!! but when it comes to family I would just give it as a gift if there was an issue...family relationships to me are more important...but it seems like you have a wonderful FIL since he even paid you more than you asked.... And the email you sent was very non confrontational and kind and I realize money is tight for everyone right now! I am glad it worked out and Most of all you still have a happy family icon_surprised.gif)

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 11:49am
post #11 of 16

Hallelujah!! I was sure it was an oversight, but anyway it is all taken care of.

If it is family I also would make it a gift unless what they wanted was more than I could afford to do without some financial help up front. I Would consider it an honor if my family wanted to pay me for a cake they wanted. If it was for something that was non-family related, I would let them pay me for it. If it was family related and I could afford to do the whole thing myself, I would, but like I said before if I couldn't I would not feel bad to say that I needed help with buying some of the ingredients and things needed for it, but that would be all I allowed them to pay me for.

If the money is needed then by all means let them pay you for it if they are willing. I am just very glad that things worked out good for you.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 16

We always pay our children for work they do for us. They are all just getting started and it is one of our ways of helping them.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 16

My feelings on family cakes are simple. If you ask me to make a cake, then you pay me. If I offer to make a cake, then it is free.

Why should I provide cakes for every function that my family memebers may have, especially if I am not invited to them?

ellentwn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellentwn Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #14 of 16

Good "rule of Thumb" TexasSugar thumbs_up.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 16

I agree with TexasSugar!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 10:45pm
post #16 of 16

I agree with TexasSugar.

That said, I make birthday cakes for ALL of my children and grandchildren as their birthday gifts. My daughter asked me to make a Bus Cake for her MIL's birthday this summer and I believe she had every intention of paying me since she asked me how much she owed me when I delivered it. I told that whatever she thought was fair was fine with me. I have yet to see the money but I have a funny feeling she has forgotten all about it but I don't intend to ask her for it because when she tricked me into making a birthday cake for myself she paid me for it and I had been feeling bad that I charged her to make a cake for myself.[/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%