Please Help My Cupcake Texture Is Like Bread

Baking By beamom Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 4:13am by beamom

beamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beamom Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #1 of 14

Please oh please help.

I baked cupcakes that are great in taste, moisture, beautiful dome with a perfect brown shade. But my cupcakes text is like bread. It's like a sponge that soft and chewy. What did I do wrong. This is what I placed inside .

4 eggs
3/4 oil
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 salt
3 tablespoon of flavor

13 replies
m420chelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m420chelle Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:58am
post #2 of 14

I would say you overmixed once you added the flour- if you overmix, you start to develop gluten and it will make your cakes chewy...which is good for bread, not so much on cakes. Did you alternate mixing the flour and buttermilk? A lot of recipes use this method which helps prevent overmixing. You can also swap out your AP flour for cake flour. HTH

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:04am
post #3 of 14

was there any sugar?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #4 of 14

Yes... was there sugar or did you just forget to type it into your message? Also, I like butter in a cake. I only use oil in a scratch cake if it's a carrot or apple cake.

beamom Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 14

Sorry. Yes I had 13/4 cups of sugar.

I place the eggs in the mix and blended adding my milk and oil. Than I sifted all of my dry items and placed them in the mixer.

beamom Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:30am
post #6 of 14

do you think I should add an additional 1/2 cup of flour. The cake flour didn't change anything. I tried that as well.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #7 of 14

There are couple of possibilities I can see.

1. Is the date on the baking powder good, or has it been sitting around for a long while?

2. Anytime I see a recipe for buttermilk, I always see an adjustment where baking soda is added and baking powder is decreased.
<http://www.drgourmet.com/ingredients/buttermilk-baking.shtml>

3. did you over mix your cupcakes?

4. I'm with Kansaslaura. I prefer a solid fat to a liquid fat in a scratch cake batter. I've seen a recipes with Shortening or softened butter.
Oil tends to make a heavy, scratch cake batter.

I only recall seeing buttermilk used in chocolate cakes or red velvet cakes, where the baking soda and baking powder has been adjusted. But that could just be me. Buttermilk is an acid and reacts with the baking powder and baking soda.

beamom Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:00am
post #8 of 14

I check the date on the baking powder and it expires this month. As for over mixing the batter, I mixed all of my wet ingredients to include my eggs first and than I sifted everything else and placed them in the wet mixture for less than 3 min. Maybe, I should purchase new baking powder and use regular milk. should I change anything else with the baking powder, salt or flour

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:49am
post #9 of 14

tokazodo -- good catch on the lack of soda with the buttermilk! I didn't catch that right off. I do think that would make a difference.

beamom Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #10 of 14

icon_smile.gif it feel so good to get closer to resolving this issue. So should I add 1 teaspoon of baking soda.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:01am
post #11 of 14

I'm not sure of the amount of baking soda (probably go with what the link tokazodo posted says), but there should be some to counteract with the buttermilk or change the buttermilk to milk.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 14

It could be a combination of the lack of baking soda with the buttermilk and the date on the baking powder. If the baking powder is going out of date in a month, then it may have been sitting around for a while. Sometimes grocery stores don't rotate the stock properly. I have had issues before of purchasing baking powder and having it not work correctly, because it was close to its out-of-date, date. I check the dates on the baking powder on the shelf before I make my purchase to avoid under active baking powder.

I hope this helps. Please, if you trouble shoot it again, please let us know how you make out. That is how we all learn, and that is what I like most about this web site. I really like how we can learn from each other!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:01am
post #13 of 14

You don't have to use baking soda with buttermilk. My go to vanilla cake uses only baking powder with buttermilk and so do several others I've used. If you don't use baking soda, you will simply taste the buttermilk (slightly sour) taste more since the acid isn't offset. I like recipes this way.

If you do play with baking soda, it's very powerful and you need a lot less than baking powder. It seems like the recipe has enough leavening as is, so I don't know that you need to play with this.

If it didn't work well, perhaps you can just try a different recipe. Not all recipes are great... or perhaps this recipe is meant to be chewier for whatever reason and there is a fluffier one out there for you.

beamom Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:13am
post #14 of 14

your so right. I believe the issue was the method I used and old baking powder. Thanks a bunch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%