Favorite Tool

Decorating By Winnie_in_Wi Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm by Jeliz

Winnie_in_Wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie_in_Wi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 16

I'm still new to all this and would like everyone's expert opinion.

What is your favorite cake tool beyond the basic stuff of tips, bags, turntable, rolling pin, stand mixer and dishwasher. So far I like the last two best.

What one tool would you say you use the most? The one you wouldn't work without? Which gadget would you say a beginner should make an investment in? If there is one thing that you use that really made a big difference in the quality of your finished cake I'd love to hear that too.

Just a newbie who sees lots of cool things she wants but has no budget!
Winnie

15 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:16am
post #2 of 16

This is my favorite tool: http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Scraper_p_607.html

I use it on every single project for all sorts of things.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:47am
post #3 of 16

I love my Wilton cake leveler. It cost like $3, I've had it for years and I use it on nearly every single cake. Makes it super easy to torte. I've heard horrible things about the larger size leveler, but I love the small one.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:51am
post #4 of 16

for me , it has to be my boning tool, my leaf viening tool, and my needle scriber! i use them on everything! OH, and my tweeezers!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:42am
post #5 of 16

I have to say fondant smoother for either butter cream or fondant. And bake even strips.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:58am
post #6 of 16

My extruder! I use it for so many, many things. Love it!

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 16

I would say even my small wilton cake leveler or my gumpaste tool kit. I have used my gumpaste tool kit for so many different things. I even use the small scraper in the kit to remove small pieces of buttercream around the edge of the cake where it meets the board.

03FLSTF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
03FLSTF Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 16

A few of my budget friendly favorite things ... Celcakes medium metal ball tool, metal bench scraper (fantastic for getting straight, smooth buttercream), Wilton icing tip 789 & 16" pastry bag, Ateco cutter sets (e.g., the teardrop shape is handy for gum paste flowers), nice sharp pizza cutter for cutting fondant.

A bit more expensive: Professional Cake Decorating Turntable by Fat Daddio's, The Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett, Kitchenaid pasta roller attachment.

Pretty pricy, but definitely my favorite tool: Agbay cake leveler.

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 16

Oh yeah and my pasta roller from Michael's I just bought it last week and I am already in love with it. Its so much easier than rolling it out with the gumpaste roller.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 16

Bench scraper....the metal kind with the rolled handle. I couldn't do buttercream without it. But I find it so useful for other kitchen chores that I keep it on the counter, so it's always handy for little jobs.

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=13589&manufacid=194

Winnie_in_Wi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Winnie_in_Wi Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 16

When you are using the bench scraper for buttercream are you using it spread the frosting on the sides or to smooth it totally after spreading it? I can't seem to get the buttercream really smooth and I'm willing to pay less than $10 if that's the trick as tried the paper towel and wax paper etc.

I had thought about a pasta attachment as well for the kitchen aid and an extruder.

So many good gadgets So little budget!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #12 of 16

I'm old school buttercream! My favorite is my small off-set spatula. I can't tell you how many things I can do with that!!

And, coming in a close second would be my hi-density foam roller!

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:15pm
post #13 of 16

I use a wide palatte knife (like you would use for spreading joing compound on dry wall). LOVE it! You can buy stainless steel ones at Lowe's. I got a 6 inch wide one for about $7-8. I use it all the time.

Also love my exacto knife. I use it alot when cutting out fondant accents and things or just picking tiny little imperfections off of frosting...

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie_in_Wi

When you are using the bench scraper for buttercream are you using it spread the frosting on the sides or to smooth it totally after spreading it? I can't seem to get the buttercream really smooth and I'm willing to pay less than $10 if that's the trick as tried the paper towel and wax paper etc.

I had thought about a pasta attachment as well for the kitchen aid and an extruder.

So many good gadgets So little budget!!

Edna has a great tutorial of how to use it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84&feature=player_embedded

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 16

One of my favorite and most used tools is my little palette knife with the black handle. (Purchased from Sugarshack, aka Sharon Zambito) I use it all the time. It is great for patching little boo boos in the buttercream and it is great for picking up thin little pieces of fondant and gumpaste to place on a cake. It's 1 tool I wouldn't want to do without.

Jeliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeliz Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #16 of 16

My airbrush is my best friend. Reason I got a second. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%