Trouble With Fondant Daisies

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 6:37am by SugarNSpiceDiva

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I'm going crazy over here, and was wondering if someone could help me or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

So I'm making this cake as a gift for my MIL's sister. She loves the twilight series, so we decided to make her a replica of Bella's cake but with a twist. Anyway, so I'm trying to make these Gerber (sp?) Daisies, and am having H3LL! icon_mad.gif

I've probably made enough petals for about 20 flowers, but don't have a single one made. icon_cry.gif The petals keep breaking before I can ever get them on the stem. Does anyone have any tricks to get these to keep from breaking?

Thanks in advance. I'm goin nuts over here.

6 replies
Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 7

Use a PME cutter, the petals are all attached to the flower, works perfecly.

Here is a pic of a cake I did with the medium cutter (the gerbera one is larger) You can get the idea! Super simple to use.

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 7

You can make daisies on wires two different ways. The first is to wire each petal, let them dry, and then tape them together around a center. The second is to make the flower, add the wire, and support the petals until they dry. For example, put a piece of foil over the top of a drinking glass, dust it with cornstarch, and poke the wire through the foil so that the petals are supported by the foil.

Either way, gumpaste is going to work better for you than fondant, if you have some.

Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 7

Since your petals are breaking, I would suggest you use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant. If you use the PME cutter, the flower is one piece, you can easily put the wire through the center.

I lay mine on crumpled foil or grocery bags to dry so they have some movement to them.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you both so much for your help!

I'm already using the cutters. I don't know how to do them the other way, and I'm not sure I'd even have time. lol. The problem is the petals are breaking off at the center. It mainly happens when I try to thin the edges or assemble it onto the stem.

I do have gumpaste, but, I'm using premade red Satin Ice to do the flowers. I always have trouble getting the red dark enough. I'm worried the gumpaste will compromise the color of the red? Would it still be dark enough? I also have tylose powder. Would that work?

I love the idea of foil and plastic bags. I had planned on putting them on napkins and setting them in glasses. Thank you!

Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

Yes; add the Tylose powder. You can also go back once they are done and paint with luster or petal dust to make the color pop. A deep red I love is Crystal Colors Red Velvet.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:37am
post #7 of 7

Hi everyone!

OK, it took me so long to respond again, b/c I was succeeding at making the flowers! lol icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

TexasRose and Loucinda, thank you so much for your advice! I did end up doing the 50/50 gumpaste/fondant. I colored the gumpaste first to keep the red. It did make it a little lighter, but not too much to bother me. And they stayed together! Yay! lol. The plastic bags weren't working for me, so I just put them on napkins and pushed them down a little in glasses. Now I wish I had asked for advice 6 hours earlier. ha ha. Oh well. Thank you again!

Also, Sweetwise, thank you for your idea on the petal dust. I didn't have any, but I did have some pink shimmer dust on hand. It worked great, and makes the daisies sparkle.

I will post pictures as soon as I charge the battery on my camera. I'm so excited I finally was able to make them. I had originally planned to omit the green and yellow ones, but I think I'm going to go ahead and do them, since I have the hang of it now.

Thanks again ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%