Anyone Used The Wilton Chocolate Pro Melter W/ Candy Melts?

Sugar Work By kileyscakes Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 1:55am by NatD

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 17

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they like this product?
Does it melt the candy pretty fast?
Does it keep the candy nice and hot for easy dipping?
I am planning on using this for cake pops, I was making some today melting the candy in the microwave and it never stayed hot enough and it would be so thick on the pop, and then I noticed they cracked after the set, I think this could have been because they were to cold when I started.

Here is the product

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=10DE1EF7-423B-522D-FAC5724016D0DA09&fid=10DE1F35-423B-522D-FDACBFD54749F332

TIA

16 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 17

I want to know too. make sure and use a coupon if you buy it at michael's, joann's or hob lob

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #3 of 17

Yes, I have one and love it. I use it for melting any chocolate discs and candy melts. Once things are melted on high you need to turn the temperature knob to warm or you might over heat your discs. People borrow mine all the time when making chocolate suckers or dipping things. Worth every penny if you use a 40% off coupon.

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 17

Love mine. I agree with the instructions given above to turn down after melted. I use it all the time. Well worth it especially with a coupon

sweetcakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 17

Yep, I love mine! I don't get to use it too often, but it's wonderful to have when I need it.

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks!!

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #7 of 17

I love mine (one for dark & white chocolate) when making cake balls is "indispensable".

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 17

Funny... I just pulled my out and am waiting for the chocolate to melt so that I can dip my cake pops. I bought may a few weeks ago and I love it. Use your 40% off coupon from Michaels and it is worth every penny.

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 17

I love mine too!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 17

I have two of them for when I teach. One word of advice though -- when melting white chocolate, put the setting at "warm" not "melt" or you will burn it. (Go ahead, ask me how I know THAT one!) icon_rolleyes.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 17

And I could use 2 or 3 more to make the job go easier. They are wonderful. Yes, you definitely need to turn it down after they are melted. I forgot one time and let it sit because I thought I had turned it down and when I went back to use it it was already starting to burn the chocolate. I have some cake balls to make and dip soon and I wish that I could afford to buy 2 or 3 more of them. Definitely use the coupon though.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #12 of 17

The best time to buy them is with the 50% off coupon. They cost $30.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 17

I even turn mine "off" for a few minutes here and there while working. Mine seems to get really hot.

jules5000 Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 17

I think that I used the 50% coupon, but I have a lot of other stuff to buy so I have to use them wisely. Cake decorating is not the only hobby I have that I use coupons for.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 17

You can print coupons from online. Just google Michael's or (insert hobby store here) coupons. Sometimes I go in with 3 or 4 coupons and just do multiple transactions. Occassionally you will get a cahier who will only let you do one transaction with a coupon but most don't care.

jules5000 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #16 of 17

Well the two hobby lobbies out my way have gotten really strict and you can use only one coupon per person per day. The only way that you could make it work is to leave and come back in a couple of hours and that way maybe you will be lucky and not get the same cashier, but that is not likely at either ne... Well that doesn't work for us because of the distance and so it is really inconvenient to say the least. I wll google michaels stores and see if I can get their coupons. Thanks for the idea.

NatD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatD Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #17 of 17

love it too! i also tried melting the chocolate in the microwave..that didn't work so i got one and it definitely makes it so much easier....I read on Bakerella's website to use a small amount of shortening if your chocolate is too thick when dipping...i tried it today and I must say it works great! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%