Va Business Owners - St9 Tax Help

Business By Becky1679 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:06am by costumeczar

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all! As of August, I became licensed/inspected/legal and need to submit my taxes. I'm sure it is simple, but I need a walk through of the form for the first time. Can someone help? I have calculated total sales. Also, is it true that we are to charge 2.5% or 5% sales tax?

I have an idea but want to make sure I am submitting correct figures.

Thank you,
Becky

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:32am
post #2 of 4

We're supposed to do 5% because we're categorized as food that's prepared and ready to eat but not eaten on site (like restaurant food). It's tricky but when they reduced the food tax that's where we ended up, like the caterers. Which form are you referring to? Is it to file sales tax or for something else?

Becky1679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky1679 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:37am
post #3 of 4

Thank you for the reply. Yes, to send in my sales tax. There seems to be parts on the form that do not apply...like personal use? And, I did not sell to any exempt. So, I am assuming I just need to do the sales tax calculations.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #4 of 4

Yeah, just put a zero in the parts that don't apply. The only thing that I usually use other than the total sales for the month is the cost of returned goods, which would be any refunds that you gave back for some reason. That would be deducted from the total income for the month. When it gets to the percentage parts, the income goes in the 5%, and a zero goes in the food tax rate section.

I don't have the form in front of me, but if you have any other questions I could go get one to look at. I always file mine online through the tax website but I think that I have a hard copy floating around somewhere.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%