Fun With Modeling Chocolate!

Decorating By Crazy4Bay Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm by deMuralist

Crazy4Bay Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 10

I decided to try my hand at making modeling chocolate this week and thanks to a great YouTube tutorial, made my first chocolate roses.

I am addicted! They were so fast and easy, yet they look amazing! (And they smell delicious too) I thought they'd be pretty with some fall gumpaste leaves on a cake I have coming up requiring a fall theme.

I'm just wondering, now that I'm obsessed with it, what are some other handy accents to make with modeling chocolate? I'm not sure I'm up to snuff with respect to sculpting people or animals... I was thinking maybe a pumpkin.

What are some things that you enjoy making?

9 replies
petulina Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 10

can you post the youtube link?

Crazy4Bay Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 10
Originally Posted by petulina

can you post the youtube link?

petulina Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 10

thank you!!! icon_biggrin.gif keep having fun with chocolate! icon_biggrin.gif

Suz246 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 10

I can not help you with the other projects since I have never used molding chocolate. However I would love to know the YouTube tutorial used. Thanks

Suz246 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you for the link.

cutthecake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #7 of 10

I have used chocolate clay to make the "fixings" on a hamburger cake--pickles, onions, cheese, tomato slices, etc.
And I've used it to make tree bark and bugs for a tree stump cake.
You can use it for many of the things that you can make out of fondant. It's fun to play with, and it tastes good, too.

imagenthatnj Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 10

Well, you could actually cover your cake with it if you wanted to. I haven't bought it yet, but long ago I wanted to buy the DVD from Richard Festen:

sugalips Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 10

I LOVE modeling chocolate!!! I just posted a couple of pix, one with mod.choc. roses (yes, so easy!!) and the western wedding cake with a mod.choc. rope. The best part: they taste like Tootsie Rolls!!! Must...stay...away...!!! I will take it over fondant anytime and I also use it in molds. It's all purpose, no refrigeration, keeps a long time in just a baggie, tastes delicious, easy to work with.... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

deMuralist Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 10

I also like this tutorial channel

this is what I used for the chocolate roses on the small turquoise cake with cake balls in my photo gallery.

Quote by @%username% on %date%