What Do I Use For The Water Around The Princess Castle Cake?

Decorating By Penscakes Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm by Motorhead

Penscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penscakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 14

I'm making a princess castle cake for a 4 year old and I want it to look like there is water around it. What do I use?

13 replies
kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 14

I'd probably use various shades of blue buttercream. I really like to carve out the cake and use a blue jello mix for water but you won't be able to do that if it's going around the cake. You could make blue jello really firm by adding less water and unflavored gelatin to it and let it get hard and cut it up and lay it around cake too, if that made any sense! Depends on what the cake is on and the look you want I guess.

ponderiffic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ponderiffic Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 14

I like the look of blue piping gel for water.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 14

I use melted sugar and blue food coloring. I put down aluminum foil. Note: I put the aluminum a little crushed, so it looks a little more wavy.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 14

You can melt neon blue gummy bears and pour into an iced divot. It does take a LOT of gummy bears though and you have to work fast.

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #6 of 14

i also tint piping gel blue

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 14

There is a recipe on www.baking911.com where you can make your own piping gel using knox gelatin, water, and light karo syrup. It makes a clear gel and you can tint it to the shade of blue you like.

grandmomof1 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 14

It looks like the link is blocked. Basically, it is 1 envelope knox gelatin, 1 tbsp. water, and 1 cup light karo syrup.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 14

You could use blue RI. It wouldn't be shiny like piping gel but it would dry hard so easier to handle if it's on the edge of a cake board.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmomof1

There is a recipe on www..com where you can make your own piping gel using knox gelatin, water, and light karo syrup. It makes a clear gel and you can tint it to the shade of blue you like.

The link was blocked because of that lawsuit from long time ago between CC and *sugar * craft*com. The two words together are banned on this site forever.

Clear Piping Gel

2 envelopes (2 tablespoons) Knox gelatin
  2 tablespoons cold water
  2 cups light Karo syrup
1. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water in a small saucepan and let set for about 5 minutes. Heat on low until the gelatin has become clear/dissolved - DO NOT BOIL.

2. Add the syrup and heat thoroughly.

3. Cool and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 months.

grandmomof1 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:12pm
post #11 of 14

Didn't know about any lawsuit. I was actually referring to another website. I don't know whether it was part of that company or not. My recipe was just half of the one you posted.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #12 of 14

piping gel works great, look at my boat pic for example. It was fun. I love piping gel. icon_biggrin.gif

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:03am
post #13 of 14

I love mixing piping gel with blue coloring for a water effect. I try not to over mix it because the color striations are beautiful!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #14 of 14

if you choose not to use the blue buttercream idea, might i suggest using piping gel colored blue, this will give a really realistic water look. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%