Make A Teapot For A Tink Cake

Decorating By kbrookins Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm by poohsmomma

kbrookins Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating. I am attempting to make the Tinkerbell cake from the 2010 Wilton book. The instructions say to use the ball pan and chocolate then cover with fondant. I don't want to use all of that for something that most likely won't get eaten. Is it possible to make it from rice krispie treats (which is cheaper even if it isn't eaten)? How would I do that and how would I cover it in fondant? Are there other options? How far in advance do I need to do it? Will it be too heavy to put on a cake iced with buttercream?

Sorry so many questions! Please help!

4 replies
letsgetcaking Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:52am
post #2 of 5

You can definitely use rice krispy treats. Just make a batch (or buy the premade ones) and scrunch them together with your hands until you get the shape you want. You'll still want to frost the rice krispies in icing before using the fondant, or it will look bumpy. Rice krispies are a lot lighter than cake, so I don't think you would have a problem with it crushing your cake.

I'm not sure about the time line or other ways to make the teapot. Hopefully someone else can give you some ideas.

PennieK Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:18am
post #3 of 5

I used a styrofoam ball (I got it in the craft section at wal-mart for around $4) for my teapot on my Alice in Wonderland cake. I cut a small piece off the bottom so it would have a flat surface and I put the fondant directly on it( I did rub a little shortening on first so the fondant would stick)

susieqhomemaker Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:34am
post #4 of 5

I also used a styrofoam ball. When I put the fondant on it, it kinda scrunched at the bottom, but that was ok, because that part was on the cake, so you couldn't see it. I put a dowel into the styrofoam and then stuck that into the cake once I was done decorating it. I attached the handle, spout, and lid with white chocolate.

Edited to add: I did mine a day or two in advance because that's all I had going on that day, but you could definitely do it a good bit in advance to give you plenty of time to work on it.

poohsmomma Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 5

I made one out of cake using half of the ball pan. I set that on a 6" round and carved the bottom in a little. It was all in buttercream-with fondant spout, handle and decorations. It all got eaten!

Quote by @%username% on %date%