Attach Fairy Wings To Doll Pick/wonder Pan

Decorating By ncsmorris Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm by CakesbyCarla

ncsmorris Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 6

I have a fairy cake due this Sunday; my plan is to place a fairy made of the mini wonder pan and mini doll picks atop a larger cake. I've made the fairy wings out of gumpaste, but I'm not sure how I'm going to attach them to the doll. Any recommendations? Will royal icing be strong enough? TIA!

5 replies
casme Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #2 of 6

Try melted chocolate and hold in place till dry.

Bskinne Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:55am
post #3 of 6

If you still can, you can stick toothpicks in the wings to help anchor them. Otherwise, you should do melted chocolate - that's how I attached wings to the Georgia Tech bee mascot cake in my pics....

DianeLM Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:38am
post #4 of 6

Royal icing should be strong enough. Of course, I have no idea how heavy your wings are. icon_smile.gif

Be careful with chocolate if you're planning to glue the wings to the smooth plastic doll. They may pop off. However, if you're gluing the wings to a fondant or gumpaste dress, chocolate should be fine.

Bskinne -- Your Georgia Tech cake is adorable! However, I don't think ncsmorris will be able to stick toothpicks into a plastic doll. icon_smile.gif

Bskinne Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Bskinne -- Your Georgia Tech cake is adorable! However, I don't think ncsmorris will be able to stick toothpicks into a plastic doll. icon_smile.gif

Thanks! And you're right, I'm having a blond moment... icon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyCarla Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 6

I'd go with royal icing as well. That's what I used to attach the wings on this angel cake. Those wings were made of fondant. Also, are you trying to attach them directly to the plastic of the doll's back or does the doll have some fondant covering the back? It will probably be easier to attach it to fondant/gum paste than the plastic - imo.

Here's the angel I did - if you want to see how big the wings were etc.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1346127

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%