How Do I Store A Fondant Wedding Cake With Mousse Filling?

Decorating By sewsugarqueen Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm by AKS

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 13

My goddaughter wants a white chocolate mousse filling with fresh raspberries and covered with fondant. I know you really shouldn't refrigerate fondant covered cake but with a mousse filling I think that has to be done. I am worried about fresh raspberries in the mousse , white chocolate buttercream filling. Has anyone done that and do you have suggestions. All my other wedding cakes have just been jams and buttercream or ganache fillings. I really could use some advice. icon_cry.gif

12 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 13

There are tons and tons of posts on this very topic. Some people say you cannot ever put a fondant covered cake in a refrigerator, others claim you can... It is a never ending discussion.

I use Fondarific fondant. I put my fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator all the time without any problems. The fondant does harden some, but since it is a really soft fondant to begin with, I don't see it as a problem.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 13

I refrigerate and even freeze my fondant covered cakes. I think it varies on the success of that brand to brand. I use Fondx and swear by it. I think the most important thing is to keep condensation from settling on the surface of the cake. You can do that by placing the layers in boxes, and have extra security by scrunching up plastic wrap into balls to fill the empty space in the box. Keeps the moisture off the cake without marring the finish. Good luck with it!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 13

when i watch tv i always see the decorators put their finished fondant-covered cakes in their refrigerators. I use the wilton's brand, does anybody know if i can put that in the refrigerator?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 13

I don't know how much the brand is a factor, but I have heard location is a big factor. If you live in a humid climate, you will get more condensation when your cake comes to room temperature (from what Ive read on here). But I believe I've also read if you don't touch it and just let it sit for awile, the condensation will evaporate. I have no experience with this though.

I live in a dry climate and I put fondant covered cakes in the fridge quite often without any problems. I did a cake not too long ago - one tier filled with coconut cream and another with banana cream. Theres no way I wasnt going to keep that chilled.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:53am
post #6 of 13

99 percent of my cakes are filled with a whipped cream mousse. I refrigerate all of my cakes and have never had any problems. I don't live in a highly humid area though. I have heard of people placing the cake in a box and then refrigerating the cake. I refrigerate fondant all the time.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 7:56am
post #7 of 13

Fondarific also list on their website that their fondant can be frozen for up to one year. I agree with the poster that says the brand probably has something to do with it.

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 8:36am
post #8 of 13

If I where you, I would make a mini cake and just try it and see how it works. Nothing works as good as practice.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 9:59am
post #9 of 13

I also have refrigerated fondant without a problem. You just let it sit at room temp for a bit before you serve it to let the condensation from the temp change dry before you serve it. Along with Fondarific, both Wilton and Satin Ice can be refrigerated. I'm not sure that I would refrigerate Pettinice, because I know several decorators that had problems with refrigerating that brand. I have not tried that brand myself though.

agemyers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agemyers Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:28am
post #10 of 13

I made cake last week with Wilton fondant and it did great in refrigerator. Good luck with your cake icon_smile.gif

Rhis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhis Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 13

do you have to put your fondant cake in a box before you put it in the fridge?

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 13

No need to box it. Ive out wilton fondant and satin ice in the fridge and it holds up beautifully. No need to worry. The only thing I would never put in the fridge is anything made out of gumpaste. if you have gumpaste flowers or figurines take them off the cake before storing in the fridge.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 13

As for the TV shows, I think I heard somewhere that their refrigerators are special low-humidity ones that allow for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%