Ameatur Competition

Decorating By LEHLA Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm by LEHLA

LEHLA Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 11

I have been asked to participate in a competition by a friend, the judges will be part of the cake boss family. icon_eek.gif Can u said scared to death, Cause I SURE AM !!! Iam just a hobbiest that does cakes for family and friends and Im not sure Im ready for this. If anyone would like to look at my pics and give me your honest opinion I would be very thankful!! All I can do is give it a whirl and see what happens icon_surprised.gif WISH ME LUCK PLZ

10 replies
thallo Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #2 of 11

Go for it!! You have some great photos of cakes you have done. I think you will find that the judges will appreciate your work.

Make sure to read all of the rules and requirements and follow them. One of the most important aspects of any competition is the presentation of the entry. No foil boards, etc. Look at photos of past competitions for this event (if they are available) . Just take your time and think it through.

Competitions can be a lot of fun. Just remember that everyone has different opinions and even though yours could be the absolute best entry, it might not win. Judges are human and they can approach these things with a different mind-set. It will be a learning experience and will get your work out for others to appreciate.

Good luck and let us know how you do!!

LEHLA Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #3 of 11

THANKS THALLO, Iam a lil nervous ,but if I dont do it I know I will regret it!!

thallo Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 11

You have the right attitude! If you don't enter and go to the competition, you will find yourself looking at the entries and knowing in your heart that you could have done a better job than many of the entries.

Just get busy with your designs and do your best!!

HobbyCaker Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 11

Definitely enter! You have some great cakes in your photos! I too am a hobbiest, and was conviced by family friends to enter a cake contest last year and won 1st Place in my division. It can be very exciting! My BF now tells people I am an "Award Winning" cake maker! icon_lol.gif HA!!!! So go for it!!! Besides, it would be cool the meet Buddy's family members, Norm Davis was one of the judges at the competition I entered, got to take a class with him and it was a blast!

kmstreepey Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 11

Your cakes are really great! Go for it! Good luck!! And please post pictures of your contest entry cake. I would love to see it!

LEHLA Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone, now what to do, what to do??? icon_smile.gif

LEHLA Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #8 of 11

Ive never been in a competition before, (IM SCARED) lol Anyone have any advise?

thallo Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 11

Fisrt, get an entry form and find out what is required. Make sure to get a copy of all the rules and regulations. Look for such things as to whether or not it needs to be real cake, or if it can be a dummy cake. Find out if the entry needs to have a specific theme. Then decide what you want to do with your entry.

Remember that when it comes to judging, everything is in the eye of the beholder. And each competition is different. But they are all learning experiences.

And keep asking questions - You will get there and you will be fabulous!!

KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 11

Hey Lehla, see you're in Cape May...my SD just moved here from Ocean City

LEHLA Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 11

Yeah Iam a jersey gal through and through!! Ocean City is just a hop skip away!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%