How To Get "words" On Cake/fondant?

Decorating By Maria925 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 3:09am by cab333

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 21

I'm making my brother a cake of Thor's Hammer (hopefully picture is attache below). For the head of the hammer, it will be MMF painted silver. He wants the inscription on there. I can't pipe or write like that. I was going to print out the inscription and enlarge it to the size I want. I thought about putting wax paper over it and tracing it with royal icing. But I can't figure out how to transfer it onto the cake. I can't imagine moving every single one of these letters!!!

I'm hoping someone out there knows of a better way to do this??? I don't have an edible printer or else I would go that route.

Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #2 of 21

Ok...let's try attaching this thing again!

OK...it's NOT attaching. Here is a link:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/thors-hammer-font-52678/

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:40am
post #3 of 21

Could you copy it as an edible image and paint your silver over it? Basically, you would have a square edible image over one side of the hammer (cut it out the full size of one side of the hammer) and paint over it with the silver like you are painting the rest of the hammer head with but not paint over the lettering. Just a thought.

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:59am
post #4 of 21

Using an edible image would work best for this. That is going to be too small to pipe or paint without it bleeding or running together. Some grocery store chains in my area, Publix and some of the Wal-marts, will print off images you bring in on edible paper for you.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:01am
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbordeaux

Using an edible image would work best for this. That is going to be too small to pipe or paint without it bleeding or running together. Some grocery store chains in my area, Publix and some of the Wal-marts, will print off images you bring in on edible paper for you.

this is true! also, maybe your writing is ok though and you could use an edible marker.

Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 21

Really? I didn't realize Publix & Walmart could do this. I will have to make some calls tomorrow. I hope someone around here offers this because that sounds waaaay easier than what I had in mind!!!

Thanks!

Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #7 of 21

Oh and another question. I was going to paint the silver on, but it's going to be a pretty big area to paint! Do you think I could use a silver spray...like the PME one? Would that cover just as well?

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:23am
post #8 of 21

I agree with the advice for using the edible image, I just did a cake where the customer wanted quite a bit of writting and I used an edible image to get all the writting and it turned out well. Good Luck! princess.gif

step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:24am
post #9 of 21

I just used the Chefmasters edible silver spray for my Lombardi Trophy (in my photos) and that worked WONDERS!

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #10 of 21

where do you get chefmaster sprays?

Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:42am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I just used the Chefmasters edible silver spray for my Lombardi Trophy (in my photos) and that worked WONDERS!

The cake looks awesome! How many cans of the spray did you use for this cake??

step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #12 of 21

Thanks Maria!

I got the spray on C o u n t r y K i t c h e n S w e e t A r t..they ship very fast thumbs_up.gif

I didn't even use a full can..actually, i used more than enough. sprayed it once a nice light coat and it dried in like a minute...then i sprayed again a few minutes later icon_biggrin.gif

kimbordeaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbordeaux Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 11:38am
post #13 of 21

Maria925, call around and see what you find out about printing edible images at your local stores you may be surprised. The stores in my area will not print anything copyrighted but somethings, like sports teams, barbie, transformer stuff, they have in stock already for you to purchase.

Step0nmi, I haven't used the silver spray but have used silver petal dust and alcohol. I first colored my fondant gray then painted on silver. Did you color fondant first?

~Kim

step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:08pm
post #14 of 21

I did not color my fondant first kim icon_smile.gif

this one I wanted shiney, so the chefmaster spray was perfect. if you use the petal dust it wouldn't have that silver metal effect.

ilztar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilztar Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 21

Using the edible transfer is a great idea. Though for the silver spray, you don't have to go too far or order any. Just go to your local Micheal's and pick up either the Wilton's spray or Duff Goldman's spray. Duff from Ace of Cakes has his own line of cake graffiti and silver is one of his colors. Worth a try. icon_smile.gif

Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 21

Well I just called Publix and they will do it for me for $8. I'm soooo happy! Thanks so much for letting me know about this service!!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 21

Post a picture when you finish it!

step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:09pm
post #18 of 21

If you're wanting the shiney silver then I recommend the Chefmasters...unfortunately, the Duff and Wilton sprays are just gray. but i'm sure that could work too. icon_smile.gif

Maria925 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:11pm
post #19 of 21

Thank you...will do! Oh and yes I'm ordering the Chefmasters as we speak. I'm also getting the gold spray for another cake I'm doing! Thanks so much everyone icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:13pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

Thank you...will do! Oh and yes I'm ordering the Chefmasters as we speak. I'm also getting the gold spray for another cake I'm doing! Thanks so much everyone icon_smile.gif

awesome! glad that publix was not too expensive on the edible image too. You can take to them whatever you want and they can print it...so, if you wanted to print out that fancy lettering first you can do so. icon_biggrin.gif

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:09am
post #21 of 21

Hmmmm, I wonder if any of the grocery store chains in Canada will do this? There should be a place online that provides this service - I'll bet it would do well! I have been asked to do a cake with circle fondant cut-outs all over it containing words related to love. I toyed with the idea of stenciling, stamping, handwriting with edible markers...but this would work perfectly. Wish me luck with a call around tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%