Please...help No One Answered

Decorating By mommynana Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:03am by mommynana

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #1 of 14

please someone had to of put gumpaste on a styrofoam ball could anyone give me advise on how to put it on without haveing it clump all on the botom and getting it on smothe

13 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 14

Have you tried covering the two halves of it separately and then smoothing away the seam?

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 14

If you make the outer edges of the fondant thicker than the center, you can slowly stretch it to the shape of the ball without it breaking on you. Be sure to work down 1 inch all the way around, then 2 inches down all the way around, etc., just like in THE MAT video. http://www.youtube.com/sweetwiseinc

Also look at the video on covering a square cake; it addresses covering different shapes as well, and that will likely help as well. http://www.youtube.com/sweetwiseinc#p/u/17/N5yrYZgIXr8

Good luck!

mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 14

thanks guys i really appreciate the replys

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:52am
post #5 of 14

Someone on CC once gave me advice for covering a ball cake and it works well everytime.

#1 Coat your styrofoam ball with shortening so it will be smooth. No need to ice styrofoam other than this.

roll out fondant and cut into two (2) equal pieces. The shapes should resemble sanitary pads or rounded hour glass figures. fit them together like working a puzzle.

Very easy. In my pics I have a baseball cake.

HTH

mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:03am
post #6 of 14

thanks auntginn. i`ll try that too

mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #7 of 14

ur cakes r beautifull auntginn but i dont c a baseball cake

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #8 of 14

I have covered round rice cereal treats....I made some christmas ornaments. I went to Michaels and bought some plastic round ornament balls. They come in two pieces. I bought them about two sizes larger than the ornament I was making. I rolled out my fondant larger than the ornament. I also frosted my ornament with royal icing (I did not frost all the way down the ornament because when I start smoothing out the fondant, some of the frosting will fill up that area) Place the ball in the center and pick up the ornament and smooth from the center out. You will get a bunching of fondant at the bottom, but I kept smoothing and then twisted the fondant at the bottom. (don't want any air trapped inside) Cut off the excess fondant. Now here is where the plastic ornaments come in really handy. I smooth with my hands at first then dust the plastic ornaments with cornstarch. Put the fondant covered ornament inside the plastic ball and snap on the other side. Spin the ornment around inside. This smooths the fondant and keeps finger prints off the fondant. I let them dry in one half of the ornament. This also keeps them from getting flat edges. I give them a spin every so often until they have had a good chance to dry. I hope I did not confuse the heck out of you. Here is a picture of the ornaments I did.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=92668

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=147863

mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 14

PatricesPieces, ur ornamentes r just beautifull,fantastic job thumbs_up.gif

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:58am
post #10 of 14

Thank you. Those were the first ones I ever attempted, so you can do it. Post a picture when you do yours!!

Patrice

auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:08am
post #11 of 14

Sorry about that, I was sure I posted it here. I have to reposted now. Will be up in 30 min according to message.

Thanks again for looking.

mommynana Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 14

actural im not making an ornament,i don`t no if im doing the right thing or not but i`ve made wheels out of gumpaste for the carriage of cinderlla and i wanted to cover a ball with gumpaste for the coach cuz i no its not going to be eaten, when i make the pillow i wanted to make the things that go with cinderella around the pillow i dont no if im making any sence.. im just taking a break from the hospital cuz my grandson is in their so hope u understand what im trying to say

auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 14

Yes, I think I do. If your doing a coach you definately do not need any creases of fondant. It should be smooth because whether of not its eaten it will still be seen.

Which ever way you choose to make it so it comes out smooth remember to blend those areas give the look of the scores on a pumpkin. Hope that makes sense now.

P.S. Hope your grandson will be well soon.

mommynana Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:03am
post #14 of 14

yes i do no what u mean auntginn, but i can`t seam to get the gumpaste around that ball but im going to just practice as much as i can, i made a crown, a mouse, and a pumpkin with no problem. and im working on the shoe,( unfortunately my daughter wants a sandel shoe) so im not giving up on the ball and thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%