Asap: Crumb Coating For Non-Crusting Frosting

Decorating By KayMc Updated 24 Sep 2010 , 12:33pm by MJoycake

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 7

I just did a crumb coating of my favorite peanut butter frosting, but it's not a crusting recipe. The last time I tried to put the final coating over this, all it did was pull off the crumb coating.

How can I prevent this from happening? Can you crumb coat a non-crusting frosting? Please help ASAP, as I will need to put the rest of the frosting on now, if I don't wait for tomorrow.

6 replies
MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 7

last time you did it, did you refrigerate the crumb coated cake? I use SMBC and crumb coat, then put in the fridge to harden...then once it's hardened a little, I take it back out and cover. Also, you want to be sure your buttercream is not too stiff.

KayMc Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:41am
post #3 of 7

This is not SMBC, but a peanut butter frosting with butter and PB. Do you think I should refrigerate it over night?

MJoycake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 7

You should only have to refrigerate for maybe 20 or 30 minutes before it's hard enough to coat. Good luck with it!

KayMc Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:39am
post #5 of 7

thanks! I'll do exactly that tomorrow!

KayMc Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:08am
post #6 of 7

This worked like a dream! I chilled the cake with the initial crumb coating, and then applied the final coat. Worked absolutely perfectly! Thank you!

MJoycake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 7

So glad to hear it! You're very welcome thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%