Freezing Cakes?

Decorating By alexiel981 Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm by alexiel981

alexiel981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexiel981 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all! Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I have never done it, and I am afraid it won't work. I have a 4 tier cake to make next week for my sister in law's wedding. Her wedding is on Friday, I work full time all week, so I thought maybe I could start baking this week and freeze the cakes. Do you have anu tip on how to do that? And what about thawing them out? Is there a trick to freeze and still have a moist cake?
Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!!!!

5 replies
layersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
layersofcakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 6

I think there are a few threads on this topic. To see what everyone else has had to say, just do a search on freezing cakes and you should come up with a few threads.
I personally, will freeze my cakes a week to two weeks ahead depending on number of orders. After baking, I let the cakes cool for about 20 minutes and wrap about 3 layers of saran wrap and place in the freezer. When it comes time for icing the cakes, I leave them in the saran wrap until completely thawed before I unwrap and begin filling and icing.
Hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:25am
post #3 of 6

I do almost the same I wrap as soon as I can handle the cake and always freeze them I think it holds the moisture in.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 6

This is what I do: bake, cool, level, torte then wrap each layer in press and seal then stack the layers and wrap again then freeze at least overnight. Then I unwrap, fill, crumbcoat and let settle/come to room temp for at least 3 hours. (this helps to prevent bulge as well as bubbles in my fondant coating).

Hope this helps!

Cat

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:49am
post #5 of 6

I bake, dump, wrap in Press'N seal and place in a dedicated cake freezer immediately to seal in the moisture and flavor. Counter cooling causes moisture and flavor escape, and allows your cake to sit at unsafe temps for a longer period of time. But lets be real. Cake is a non-potentially hazardous food. Meaning the sugar is a natural preservative, and the heat necessary to create the cake will kill anything that could be hazardous from the raw batter. So counter, fridge (which I don't recommend due to getting a wet, unmanageble cake), or freezer won't increase or decrease a cakes shelf life or supposed "hazard" level.

alexiel981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexiel981 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for the reply! I will definitely try!!! I better start baking now icon_biggrin.gif !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%