Vent: Wedding Tasting. No Show. No Call. No Text. No Email.

Decorating By DebbyJG Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 1:19am by DebbyJG

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 10

I'm not a big operation -- I don't have 10 other appointments in a day. When I schedule a single wedding cake tasting, my whole week revolves around it. My homeschool schedule gets shortened for the day. The kids have to play in certain areas of the house so that I can keep the kitchen and living room presentable. Not to mention the cost of the two mini cakes and 5 filling options that I made, and now have to throw away, as well as the sample of my homemade fondant as per the bride's request (since she was asking for a style that requires fondant to look good, but said "I really don't like fondant".)

Really? You can't call to say "I've changed my mind and won't be making my appointment for this week" ???

This is my first no show. And no, (since I know I'll probably get the question) I don't charge for wedding tastings, even though the thought has crossed my mind several times - especially today - because in my market, no bakers charge for wedding tastings, so if I did, I would have zero customers.

Thanks for listening. I really just needed to say this to someone.

9 replies
cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:24pm
post #2 of 10

Perhaps they're too embarrassed to cancel? I have a niece who is like this; she's sooooo afraid of confrontation that she'd rather just not say anything if she fears there will be any objection by anyone!

But most likely, they're just thoughtless....about this and probably everything else. icon_sad.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 10

Don't throw it out, freeze it!
Maybe you don't feel you can charge for tastings, what about a charge taken off the balance of the cake? Or at least charge
if she gets in touch again!
xx

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 10

I feel bad for you. It's happened to all of us at one time or another.

Some decorators take a small deposit, so that if the bride is a no show you can cash her check to cover your loss. I guess this way you BOTH know how serious they are about the consultation. But, it I'm lazy and dealing with all of that is more of a pain for me than making the samples, ya know?

As you get busier and schedule more consulations on one day, it may not bother you as much.

Good luck with growing your business. Hopefully the next time you post you'll be saying "how do I deal with all of these brides and so many appointments"!!! icon_smile.gif

-Michelle

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #5 of 10

Don't you have HER phone number or e-mail ? I would send her exactly what you posted here....

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:59am
post #6 of 10

I agree with a deposit rather than charging. Say something like there is a $XX.XX fee to hold the time for your tasting that will be a. refunded at the time of the consultation or b. taken off the the price of the cake.

It's not a polite, considerate world we live in anymore and at least this way they MAY think twice about just not bothering to show.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 10

Unfortunatley it happens. I do tasings once a month and schedule up to 8 tastings (1 hour each). I do send a reminder email 2 days prior and I also advise that if they no show without 48 hours notice it's $40.00 to schedule another tasting with me.

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyonzlake

Unfortunatley it happens. I do tasings once a month and schedule up to 8 tastings (1 hour each). I do send a reminder email 2 days prior and I also advise that if they no show without 48 hours notice it's $40.00 to schedule another tasting with me.

I don't know anyone who bakes and goes thru that much work for one bride on the hopes she'll show. Lady has the right idea.

DebbyJG Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:16am
post #9 of 10

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I must not have checked the "watch this topic" because I didn't think anyone had replied to my post! icon_biggrin.gif

I am considering the deposit idea. Although, before Kid #3 came along I used to be a wedding coordinator in my area, so I know that deposits for tastings are just not done around here, so I worry that I would lose the few potential inquiries I get. A few months ago I was scheduling one or two wedding tastings a week, so group scheduling like Lady said above would work great. Except that this was my first appointment booked since about...May, I think. Everyone gets engaged in Winter or Spring around here, apparently.

I did have her phone number and email, and I confirmed with her ahead of time. An hour after she hadn't shown, I contacted her (left a message) to ask if something had come up or if she was just running late, and I hear nothing back. I even emailed her later and offered to let her come by and pick up the cakes I made along with the pricing sheet I had worked up for her, but I never heard anything back. I can't refreeze the cakes that I had already frosted and decorated (one with fondant, since she insisted she wanted to taste it before ordering a cake with it on it). So my family got some cake this week. They aren't complaining. :/

And my kids also got a good lesson in what is courteous and what is not! icon_smile.gif

DebbyJG Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Don't throw it out, freeze it!
Maybe you don't feel you can charge for tastings, what about a charge taken off the balance of the cake? Or at least charge
if she gets in touch again!
xx

Absolutely -- IF she contacts me again, and IF I decide I'm not already "booked" on her wedding date, there will definately be a deposit mentioned. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%