Ruin Royal With Airbrush Color?

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 3:51am by EvMarie

EvMarie Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 15

Does anyone know if I could ruin my royal icing by adding airbrush color?

Yesterday I had one of those days...I started about 4 projects only to find, I didn't have enough supplies for any of them. In a moment of weakness, I added some Americolor black airbrush color to my royal....because I didn't have enough gel color.

Well, it didn't work. But, I'm wondering if I should use it. If it will set up properly? Anyone know?

Thanks...

14 replies
Herekittykitty Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 15

Hmmm. That is a good question. My guess is yes but you may need to add more PS to get it back to consistancy if the liquid in the color thinned it a bit.

Why don't you put a bit on some wax or parchment paper and leave it sit out to see if it hardens?

Edited to ask: What about it didn't work?

TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 15

I don't see how it would hurt, other than making your royal softer. If it is too thin you can add some cornstarch to it.

As far as I know airbrush colors don't contain oils, and are water based, so it should be okay in that sense.

EvMarie Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 15

Awwwww, nothing went wrong yet....

I just had that kind of day yesterday & am using the icing tonight. I'm just anticipating and trying to cut off a disaster. icon_smile.gif

I appreciate the replies. I'm baking my cookies now. I only have 18 soccer balls to do for favors. But, after all that outlining in black...boy I'd be more than a little p.o'd if it didn't set up.

I could do a test run. It is a little soft, not any where near flooding consistency though. I'll run it through a bag. If it looks funky, I'll just make another batch. Better safe than sorry.

icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 15

That would definately be worth a few "words" tapedshut.gif if it didn't set but don't see why it wouldn't.

Good luck!

EvMarie Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 15

Soooo, I tested my royal...and it seems fine. I put it through the tip I'm going to use & it appeared to good texture-wise. And....I did look on the label of the airbrush color. The first ingredient is water & nothing else appears to be "oil"....so, I'm moving forward with it.

If there's a disaster...I'll re-post for informational purposes. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 15

Please share how it works and if they dry okay. I'm really thinking you are gonna be totally fine though. icon_smile.gif

EvMarie Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 15

Will do - TexasSugar...

EvMarie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 5:52am
post #9 of 15

Okay - so, it appears there was no problem. However, I was pretty nervous as I bagged the cookies. In general, the black was a tad softer than the white. Not sure if I mentioned it...but I made soccer balls cut outs....

I didn't do it on purpose, but when I accidentally "stabbed" a cookie with my finger, I made a tiny little indentation from my nail. The white didn't do that. So, it's not like they smudged at all, just a wee bit softer than the white.

I posted the cookie pic in my gallery. Thanks for all the help!!!

Herekittykitty Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 15

WOW! Those are great. Soccer balls are so hard to get right and yours are flawless. Did you put pearl dust on them? They look sparkly. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 15

The amount of color it takes to get the black could have made the icing softer, thus taking longer to try?

I had a past student that used liquid red food coloring in place of water in her buttercream to get a good red color. I wonder if using the liquid airbrush color in place of the water would work? That way you aren't adding alot of extra liquid to it.

EvMarie Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 15

Welll, now....TexasSugar - that's an idea about the liquid in place of the water. I'll try it next time & if my worn out brain remembers...I'll post the result. Hmmmmm, very interesting! Good thinking....

Herekittykitty - yup, pearl shimmer airbrush color sister! I spray it on EVERYTHING It seems when I do anything, I'm not quite loving it. And, even if something doesn't turn out absolutely perfect, the pearl spray seems to provide a nice & pretty distraction. My family bought me an airbrush over a year ago for my birthday. At that time, I wasn't sure if I was gonna stick with cakes or just cookies. And, no matter what I'm doing - - I can spray away!!! It's a good way to look fancy...especially when your really just learning! shhhhh, don't tell!!! ha ha ha

dchockeyguy Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

The amount of color it takes to get the black could have made the icing softer, thus taking longer to try?

I had a past student that used liquid red food coloring in place of water in her buttercream to get a good red color. I wonder if using the liquid airbrush color in place of the water would work? That way you aren't adding alot of extra liquid to it.

I'm sure the extra water in the airbrush color caused the black to be softer. By pulling some water out and using the airbrush color instead, you'd probably be able to get back to the proper consistency.

sewsweet2 Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 7:00pm
post #14 of 15

When I need a lot of red or black RI, I replace the water amount (when I use powdered meringue) with red/black airbrush color and finish mixing as usual. It works just fine. I mix a recipe of red RI and a recipe of black RI when I make Santa Climbers at Christmas time. HTH

EvMarie Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 3:51am
post #15 of 15

sewsweet2 - thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try that next time I need red & black. It makes a lot of sense to replace the water. The airbrush color seems perfect for that.

Right now just I have a bunch of Americolor sheens & super black for the airbrush. But, with Christmas coming, I'll be sure to stock up on some regular colors that compliment the season!

Great info! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%