Desperate For New Birthday Classroom Ideas

Decorating By mandy3689 Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 8:42am by jlh

mandy3689 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy3689 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 11

Ugh! My son & daughter both need birthday treats for their classes this week and I am completely out of ideas... We have done the burgers, cones, etc and we really REALLY needs some new ideas! Individual servings (ex. cupcakes) are a must.

Please help!

10 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 11

candy apples, popcorn balls, RKT in some shape???

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 11

What about dipped rod pretzels? I love me some salty-sweet snacks!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 11

I sent giant cake balls with my son last year. They seemed to go over well. No one had had them before.

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 11

cake balls, cookies, brownies, doughnuts, fudge, homemade marshmallows (saw this suggestion on chowhound and thought it would be cute for a class. Here is a recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-marshmallows-recipe/index.html)

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 11

Bake a jelly roll type cake, but instead of rolling it, use cookie cutters to cut it into individual-serving 2D shape cakes. Coat with a poured frosting or glaze, which both decorates the cake and serves to keep the cut edges from drying out.

Both of my kids' classrooms this year have a ban on cupcakes or other birthday sweets. I have mixed feelings about this. icon_lol.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 11

We can't do treats for birthdays either. They are only allowed "junk" on something like 10 days in the year , birthdays not included. I usually send cookies, individually wrapped so they can take them home. That and it saves them from touching everyone of them before deciding which one they want!
Maybe alphabet cookies if they are young enough or something to do with what they are learning.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 11

How about a semi nutritious treat with individual clear cups of trail mix, tied with ribbon, cellophane or saran wrap and their names? If you don't know the names, just mix it up with different colors of ribbons...some boyish, girly and neutral. icon_smile.gif

You could use chex cereal, cheerios, M&M's, mini chocolate chips, mini pretzels, mini marshmallows, raisins, craisins or fruit snacks mixed in.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 11

How about a semi nutritious treat with individual clear cups of trail mix, tied with ribbon, cellophane or saran wrap and their names? If you don't know the names, just mix it up with different colors of ribbons...some boyish, girly and neutral. icon_smile.gif

You could use chex cereal, cheerios, M&M's, mini chocolate chips, mini pretzels, mini marshmallows, raisins, craisins or fruit snacks mixed in.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:25am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

Bake a jelly roll type cake, but instead of rolling it, use cookie cutters to cut it into individual-serving 2D shape cakes. Coat with a poured frosting or glaze, which both decorates the cake and serves to keep the cut edges from drying out.

Both of my kids' classrooms this year have a ban on cupcakes or other birthday sweets. I have mixed feelings about this. icon_lol.gif

Yeah, our's too. Something we've used with great success is to buy a huge bag of popcorn (Smart & Final) and plastic cups and a dipper to fill the cups. Works great, cheap, and can feed 20-150 kids. Plus, there is leftover for later, or to donate to the teacher's lounge, whatever.

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 8:42am
post #11 of 11

Jello with Knox cut with cookie cutter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%