Help! What Size Of Cake Do I Need To Make?

Decorating By cake_and_dance Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm by sweetcakes

cake_and_dance Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
I'm making my best friends wedding cake. Ive made many cakes, but this will be the first wedding cake I've made. I've looked all over online and am getting a lot of different answers as so cake serving sizes.

I need approximately 250 servings. I will be making square cakes, and I'd like to have a 4 or 6 inch top tier for the bride and groom to save. So, what other sizes of cake would you reccomend? Is a 16 in, 12 in, and 8in enough? Or is 18in, 14in, 10in okay? I'd like to keep it to 4 or 5 layers maximum.

Also, if I need to make a 18 in square cake for the bottom layer, is it ok to make four 9in square cakes and put them together in the bottom layer?

Thanks for your help!

4 replies
auntginn Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

The reason you get so many different answers is because each opinion in based on serving size. Obviously the bigger the portion the less cake slices.

To me an 8 inch cake serves 20. Your experience at cake cutting will give you what a size yields.

Take your numbers from someone or rescourse you trust and cut some cakes trying to achieve the number. We all make cakes slightly different, so we will all have a different outcome.

Good Luck.

P S. I would make a 16 - 12- 8 and the 4 9" satelites.

KJ62798 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 5

Wedding servings are based on the idea of a 1x2x4in slice of cake. IndyDebi says to think of a slice the size of a folded peanut butter sandwich.

Figuring out the servings from a square cake is simple--multiply the length of one side by half the length of the other.

18in cake--162 servings, 16in cake--128 servings, etc

Here's a link to the CC article on serving sizes:
http://cakecentral.com/articles/74/cake-baking-cutting-serving-guide-2-in-deep-pans

You can create a large 18in square by lining up 9in squares and frosting them together. You can also do a smaller "show" cake w/extra servings of kitchen cake. These are not sheet cakes, but extra torted/filled/frosted cakes used to suplement serving numbers.

HTH
Kristy

CWR41 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake_and_dance

I'd like to keep it to 4 or 5 layers maximum.

If you mean 4 or 5 tiers max, using the Wilton wedding cake serving guide, you could make these squares: 14" x 12" x 10" x 8" x 6" which would serve 252/270 (252 served at the event with the 18 serving 6" saved for the bride & groom's 1st anniversary).

sweetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 5

a 6" 9" 12" and 16" square cake will give 254 total servings. you could add the 4" on the top for them to keep.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%