Sure It's Beautiful, But Honestly, Does It Taste Good?

Decorating By cakegroove Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 5:37am by tonedna

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 3:46am
post #31 of 42

I love love love decorating with fondant, gumpaste, RI...but I don't eat any of it. Honestly, I've never.even.tasted the MMF that I've been making/working with forever. No joke. Never even tasted it. I'm told it's yummy lol ! My husband loves it, and most people who DO eat it say it's good. I just don't like fondant...don't like the texture, don't like the taste.

I made a b'day cake this past weekend with a big RKT fondant covered ladybug, and the kids were FIGHTING over the bug! No kidding, they were chomping it down, black fondant all in their teeth...it was hilarious! My daughter will pop RI flowers like M&M's if I let her. Gumpaste flowers never make it past 20 min on a cake when kids are around. Amazing their teeth don't break, but they seem to LOVE it!

All this to say there's no accounting for taste. All the bells and whistles don't bother me...it just can't look like a hot mess when it all comes together lol ! And I agree--underneath all the gee-gaws, it BETTER taste good!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:17am
post #32 of 42

What's Jello MMF?? Sorry if the question was asked already - just curious...if you don't mind, can you please PM me the recipe? Sounds interesting and delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Have you tried MMF? It tastes good. I also make Jello MMF and is great tasting. As for RKT.. I say yuck too. I like to make Fruity pebble treats instead. THey taste great and kids and adults go crazy for them. You can also make caramel fondant (which I am currently experimenting with).

But I still love doing buttercream as well. Most (almost all) of my cakes are buttercream, so I enjoy getting to work with fondant and stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:16am
post #33 of 42

I prefer a buttercream. I have tried really hard to work with fondant, and tried almost every brand of fondant there is and also made my own, just to keep up with the times so to speak. It seemed like everywhere I looked I'd see fondant covered cakes and they are simply beautiful, so I figured I had to start doing them also. Not anymore. I love buttercream iced cakes, and I now just keep trying to improve my skills in buttercream decorating. I will do the occasionl fondant decorations if the design calls for it. I just wish there were more buttercream decorated cakes in some of the cake magazines, they seem to be geared more towards the fondant covered cakes.

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:36am
post #34 of 42

I was just talking about this with my coworkers (yeah, the other job!). A girl I work with and I started doing cakes at the same time. She loves doing the cake boss thing...RKT, Fondont, sculpting, etc. I on the other hand love perfecting bc and making roses! I love the simple and classic cake more than anything. We would make great partners because she loves to do what I hate!

I will happily work with fondont, but in the end, I want my cake to look like a cake and taste like a cake!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:03am
post #35 of 42

I dont like the taste or feel of fondant. I rather do a cake in buttercream than fondant anyday of the week. I dont mind using details in fondant or gumpaste since it's just details, but still...I love buttercream!
Edna icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:03am
post #36 of 42

You know, I took my first cake class 25 years ago. It was a 10 week course and we met on Thursdays in the Rec Room at our local park. I don't even remember if it was a Wilton course. We learned to decorate with non-dairy Whipped cream. Pastry pride is what we used. In all my years of caking, I can count on 1 hand the cakes I've decorated using buttercream and only 1 fondant cake. I've taken a fondant course but no one asks for fondant cakes. My customers only want whipped cream cakes. Strictly PP here!

tonedna Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:20am
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

You know, I took my first cake class 25 years ago. It was a 10 week course and we met on Thursdays in the Rec Room at our local park. I don't even remember if it was a Wilton course. We learned to decorate with non-dairy Whipped cream. Pastry pride is what we used. In all my years of caking, I can count on 1 hand the cakes I've decorated using buttercream and only 1 fondant cake. I've taken a fondant course but no one asks for fondant cakes. My customers only want whipped cream cakes. Strictly PP here!

Same here, But I dont use Pastry Pride. People really dont like fondant. If they have a choice, they go for buttercream most of the time.

Edna icon_smile.gif

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:47am
post #38 of 42

i never eat MMF or fondant.. comeon after kneading the hell out of the thing and microwaving it to get it soft and adding the heart breaking ammount of colors into it.. no way in hell i would eat it!! while i made a bugs bunny cake for my neices with lots of MMF carrots and if u can imagine each on of them took a carrot and started eating it!!! eeeeeeeghh...
it burns me from the inside just to think of it!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:35am
post #39 of 42

Nusi - i have never put Regalice, Bakels, Satin Iice or any other brand in a microwave in all my years. Why would you do that?

One should always wear food safe gloves when kneeding and adding colours for hygenic reasonS.

Not sure why a cake torted - filled and covered in any form of fondant would taste any different to one torted - filled and covered in BC.
The coverage of the cake doesn't determine the actual cakes taste.

90% of cakes over here are covered in either a ganache or a form of fondant - or chocolate shardes.
All can look just as spectacular as a bc covered cake.

At the end of the day - i do what my customers ask for - no matter the coverage - the cake is moist and full of flavour.

Bluehue

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:22am
post #40 of 42

i always wear gloves dear its just doesnt feel right.. and microwave is just for MMF not store brand fondant.. which i dont really use "unless im too busy and i havnt made fondant upahead"
the taste of the cake doenst change just the taste of fondant doesnt really feel right.. i take off the fondant usually when eating my cakes.
if ur making a red velvet or a carrot cake ... the flavor is usually inhanced by adding the cream cheese frosing.. and honestly i wouldnt really frost the cake with cream cheese if im going to cover it with fondant.. it would be too slippery to work "did it once for a purse cake and i regret it..." i only fill it with cream cheese... and usually it might not be enough to enhance the flavor of a fondant covered cake.. well thats my opinion!!

cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:54pm
post #41 of 42

so glad to hear everybody's input. and equally glad to know i am not alone in how i feel! i am fortunate that 98% of the cakes i get requests for are buttercream. must be a midwest thing. Thank God! Happy decorating everybody

tonedna Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 5:37am
post #42 of 42

For those who never microwaved fondant, it's a way to soften it when it's really hard at the begining. Specially with people that have arthritis, it's a fast way to get it softened. I have done it in cold days and works like a charm
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%