Never Done Gumpaste Sprays With Wires Before!??

Decorating By bakerfairy Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm by hsmomma

bakerfairy Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a cake for this weekend that has sprays of gumpaste acorns, berries, flowers, leaves and ferns. I have never done this type of arrangement using wires before. I've read posts about making sure that the wires are covered before putting them into the cake, but what color/gauge of wire do I use? Should I use royal icing or flower tape to adhere them together?

I'm also a usually a little leary of putting non-edible things into cakes. How do you deal with this when making a wedding cake? The cake will be set out later in the evening. Should I have the caterer remove the gumpaste before serving the cake? Any tips/advice would be helpful! Thanks

3 replies
bakerfairy Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 4

So I think I might not use wires. I guess I could just stick the gumpaste onto the cake with royal icing?? I'm just not sure it would look as good?? Any suggestions??? please help!!

Malakin Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 4

I use anywhere from 26 ga (small delicate flowers) to 18 ga (calla lilly) and the color depends on what type/color flowers I am making. I usually use green and arrange them together with green floral tape, sometimes, brown, sometimes white. After I make the arrangement I use straws in the cake to insert the wire stems into. The size of the straw can be anywhere from a coffee stirrer for single stems, to regular straw for flower and leaf, all the way up to bubble tea straw for the bigger floral bunches. The straws are usually brite colors so ppl will see them when cutting the cake.

hsmomma Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 4

Ditto what Malakin said....

Quote by @%username% on %date%