Wow Backfire

Decorating By angelcakes5 Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31am by myslady

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 18

Thought I would share. I think I got one of these brides that called me last night and wanted me to do her cake for $1 a slice....um no thank you!

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article196500.ece

17 replies
mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 18

Thats horrible for the couples getting married soon. I would probaby do a cake just because I felt bad for them. I mean for $100 it was probably a pretty basic cake, I would assume at least.

Thanks for sharing that article

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 18

WOW! I have a $99 econoline too but have only had 2 brides actually order from that line. When they see the limited design and flavor choices they usually want to add something or do a different flavor, thus making it a custom cake and they pay my custom cake prices. I guess they gave way too many design choices and flavors and then realized they couldn't make any money off only doing $99 cakes. Wow, just wow. I feel for the brides that have weddings just around the corner.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 18

Wow I do feel bad for the brides, but... What do you really expect for $99??? You get what you pay for.

angelcakes5 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 18

I hear ya! The wedding is Oct 1st. She satarted out the conversation I dont want to Spend $300 on a wedding cake. I thought oh boy! Tops grocery store wont even make her the cake. She wants a fruit filling with gumpaste leaves on the cake. And the venue where she is having the wedding is very expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 18

Agreed, pieceacake830. In the wedding big picture, $99 isn't enough to justify getting the police called on you. Geez, brides, get a life.

Although the bakery should have severly limited the number of bargain cakes they'd accept.

angelcakes5 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 18

Its funny last year the news made a big deal about this $99 wedding cake and how it helps the brides. It made me sick. No wonder they are out of business.

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 18

OMG!! That's just awful! I feel bad for the 2nd bakery as well! I mean, he wasn't the one offering the cheap cakes in the first place, and got stuck because of his ex...that's pretty low.

I hope the brides can find some way to get their money back, but at $99 would it be worth suing the first bakery over?

icon_sad.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

Wow I do feel bad for the brides, but... What do you really expect for $99??? You get what you pay for.

We'll they're getting NOTHING for the $99. they paid in good faith. Why wouldn't they want a bargain?? Ever see the big stampede at the wedding dress shops when they hold the once-a-year blow out sale?

We're all looking for ways to save and I can't say I blame them for grabbing a baragin. And I can't say I blame them for being upset. What if your favorite shoe store offered an awesome deal on a pair shoes you've only dreampt of owning... you had to pay in advance to place the order. Then poof! Out of business went the store along with your money!! Imagine these were THE shoes that went perfectly with your wedding dress.

And then no promise of getting your $$ paid in good faith:

Quote:
Quote:

Nick Schmidt, who is getting married Oct. 9, received one of those letters over the weekend. He estimates that hundreds of other people have, too, given the large turnout for the tasting sessions last year. So far, he has been unable to get any information about how his money might be refunded

We paid him in cash that day, Schmidt said. Theyre basically stealing my money..

As far as the police getting involved, the article states:

Quote:
Quote:

Town of Tonawanda Police Chief Anthony Palombo confirmed Monday that police were called to the P&R shop over the weekend when unhappy customers refused to leave. No arrests were made.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 18

If its too goog to be true..... Can you actually do 100 servings at $1.00 per slice? I don't do wedding cakes so I really don't know. Even a box mix with Wilton buttercream takes time, ingredients, and CLEANUP, over and above overhead and paying yourself.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 18

99 hardly covers the cost of making the cake..no wonder they went bankrupt.. and the poor bakery that covered their ass probably went bankrupt because of honoring those cakes!! icon_confused.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceacake830

We'll they're getting NOTHING for the $99. they paid in good faith. Why wouldn't they want a bargain?? Ever see the big stampede at the wedding dress shops when they hold the once-a-year blow out sale?

Totally agree, kansaslaura. I don't care how foolish the bakery is, I expect to receive what I'm promised. If I could have gotten my hands on a wedding cake from a reputable bakery (patrons said they'd eaten cake from that store before and it was very good), for $1/serving when *I* got married, I'd have jerked their arm off taking it. If they OFFER it, TAKE money for it, PROMISE it, then don't DELIVER it, that's called theft.

Just another black eye on the cake biz...a lot of people already think they're getting ripped off when they're quoted $4-10/slice, and have absolutely no clue how much is involved in creating a cake to feed 100 ppl. After all, it's "only cake!" Now, when they see that *some* bakeries will do it for $1/slice, why won't everybody???

Grrr. I'm not even in biz and this entire situation ticks me off. OK...stepping off the podium now lol !

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 18

Do you think the wife just got caught up in pocketing all those $100, didn't schedule correctly, spent it or hid it, ran to her husband for help, he tried to bail her out and she left. She probably knew what she was doing... how can you not? The legal address of the woman is on her divorce filing at the courthouse, which is public knowledge.

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #14 of 18

Hold on..... I'm not saying that they shouldnt be getting a cake.. These customers absolutely should have either gotten their money back, or a cake.. I know thats not likely to happen at this point. AT least the Husband in this was decent enough to send a letter... Imagine if he hadn't, and all those couples didn't have a cake at all... Yes unfortunatley , it will be costing these customers more scrambling to get another cake, but at least he did let them know in advance.

You know that old addage If it looks too good to be true, it probably is...
buyer beware and all that... And if this was a reputable business, and hit hard times(as I think just about all of us have at one point or another) and then to top it all off, throw in a recession!

I'm just saying that this sort of "deal" might look good on paper, but all in all, can anyone honestly make a wedding cake for that little amount of money? The costs add up quickly, and I think that when somone low-balls the customer like that, yes they are trying to get a booking, but at what cost to the bakery? If this "deal was a contributing factor as to why BOTH bakeries ended up out of business, then maybe they should have made some sort of limit for that day ie: $99 cake for the first 50 paid contracts or something along those lines. I know I've been tempted to run some sort of promotion like that, but I certainly didnt want to kill myself trying to fulfill an order. Plus, this was a retail bakery.. why would they want to undercut themselves for so many customers?
Hmm..

suepers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suepers Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 18

Wow, that is just horrible. A similar thing happened at a bridal shop here several years ago. The store where I got my wedding dress abruptly closed its doors 1 week after my wedding. The only people who received their dresses were the lucky ones who had paid in full and their dresses were in the store. Everyone else was SOL. They didn't get their dresses, and they didn't get their money back. And we're talking about a whole lot more than $99! It was very sad. I was just thankful it happened AFTER my wedding. I don't know what I would have done!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 5:34pm
post #16 of 18

Pieceofcake830.. I gotcha...

You know, if the original offer of $99. was really thought through by the business that offered it they would have advertised it as "The first 10 brides to book a date has the opportunity to purchase a $99. cake"... or something like that which in turn would have put a limit to the number of these they'd have to offer.

It could be a real draw to get people to sit down and look at different options, and of course there would be those who would opt for the cheaper way to go.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #17 of 18

wow icon_surprised.gif I don't understand why brides think that they can manipulate the prices of cakes, but not dresses, venues, honey moon etc.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:31am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy74

Just another black eye on the cake biz...a lot of people already think they're getting ripped off when they're quoted $4-10/slice, and have absolutely no clue how much is involved in creating a cake to feed 100 ppl. After all, it's "only cake!" Now, when they see that *some* bakeries will do it for $1/slice, why won't everybody???

Grrr. I'm not even in biz and this entire situation ticks me off. OK...stepping off the podium now lol !

I don't see this as a black eye. Once brides see this, they may think again about ordering a cheapo wedding cake, because had those brides ordered a cake at regular price they wouldn't be in this situation.

Not saying it's their fault, but this just goes to show some things are too good to be true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%