Nys Health Inspection Vagueness?

Business By Crazy4Bay Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 1:51pm by pieceacake830

Crazy4Bay Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to determine if I can run a legal business from my home. From what I'm told, it's fine in my county...if I meet the parameters outlined by the Dept of Health.

They state something along these lines: kitchen facility (not commercial) that is separated from living/sleeping quarters (partitioned) and uses a self-closing door.

If anyone has any experience in this and can clarify it, I would welcome any insight! My home is a transitional. When you walk in our front door, the ground level of the house is set up as a family room, full kitchen, full bath, laundry room and office. Below that is the basement. However, when you walk in the front door and go up the stairs, you enter the regular living space - our living room, dining room, kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. The upstairs/downstairs is separated in the foyer by the front door not only by the stairs, but there is a glass door that opens/closes leading into the ground floor where my "cake kitchen" is.
(Hope that description wasn't as confusing as it sounded)

So I'm wondering if I add self closing hinges to my internal glass door if I qualify for meeting the parameters of a legal home kitchen? I mean, aside from anything else I need for the health code in terms of how they want things set up in the kitchen itself). From what I understand it's quite a painstaking ordeal with paperwork and whatnot, so I'd kind of like to know if I'm on the right track before I get started. Otherwise, it's a no go for me.

Thanks for your time! icon_wink.gif

5 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 6

I can't help you with specifics since I don't live in NY state, but I was going to say that you might want to edit the title of your post to include that you're in NY so you'll attract people who know!

Crazy4Bay Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #3 of 6

Good idea! Done!

pieceacake830 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

It must be a separate dedicated kitchen... Not one you use for cooking dinner for the family. But this might be different from county to county.

You may qualify to be licensed under the Department of Ag & Markets... Another route you may want to look into.

Where in NYS are ya?

Crazy4Bay Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 6

Nope, Ag & Markets referred me to the Dept of Health because I would be considered retail, not wholesale. My "downstairs" kitchen is a full kitchen - fridge and everything - and I only use it for doing cakes and the occasional entertaining. I'm in Madison County.

pieceacake830 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 6

SOunds like that might work! The Health Dept is usually very helpful. Maybe theycan send someone in to tak a look to see if you'd qualify... or Maybe bring them your floorplan, so they have a general idea. I think they have a list of "must haves" that you can use to go from there with..

Good Luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%