How Do You Roll Out Your Fondant?

Decorating By shmily23 Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm by JanH

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:53am
post #31 of 38

@awatterson: In another thread I elaborated on how the properties of that super double polish works great with the fondant, but it is extremely difficult for print to stick to. The price the printers we have found are giving us adds way too much to the cost, and we really want to keep this a super affordable tool ($15.99 including the storage tube). We are still working on it, but I can't give you an estimated date. I would honestly not exoect the Deluxe version until early next year. Sorry for the wait, but in the meantime, try out THE MAT. We know you will love it!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:21pm
post #32 of 38

I can't wait to order mine. Thank you for making such a great product.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #33 of 38

Back to the original question......On the Satin Ice website, they have "celebrity cakers" doing demonstration videos. One used cornstarch, another used powdered sugar, and a third used shortening to roll out the fondant.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 1:44pm
post #34 of 38

I've been rolling out my fondant on the shiny side of freezer paper (coated with a very thin layer of shortening). I liked the fact it stuck to the paper and I could just flip it over onto the cake.

But the mat looks even better! Clear so that you can see where you are placing the fondant, no "coating" on the fondant, and the double-layer to keep the fondant from drying out. Looks like a great product -- gonna have to buy it!

The "seasoning" implies that you would not wash it each time you used it -- is that correct? I'd think the "seasoning" would eventually go rancid, so what are the cleaning instructions?

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 12:36pm
post #35 of 38

Sorry to take so long to comment on these. Didn't see the questions until now!

@cutthecake: With all respect to the celebrities, that's the way they've always done it, it works for them, so I wouldn't ask them to change. I can only suggest to you my opinions, show you what works for me, and you can try it out and see if it works for you. icon_smile.gif

My opinion on powdered sugar is that it dries out the fondant and changes the recipe. If you are adding it just to make it not stick, we have eliminated that need, so now you don't have to add a powder that dries out the fondant more than it already wants to by its nature. Cornstarch Also dries it out, but on top of that causes fermentation, which causes those little gas bubbles to pop up at inopportune times. Shortening also not necessary with this method except for first time use.

@endymion: Yes, shortening for first time use only. Once THE MAT has been used, it is "broken in" and no longer requires the shortening. The fondant does a good job of picking up the excess, leaving little if any behind. Going forward, you only need to wipe it clean with a lint free paper towel or cloth, and if you feel you have excess residue or anything, you can wash it in warm (not hot) soapy water in the sink, rinse, and drip dry. I DON'T recommend doing this between each use. Let THE MAT get broken in, and then just let it do its work!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Sep 2010 , 1:24pm
post #36 of 38

I was answering and referring to the original question.

LindieLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindieLu Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 4:54pm
post #37 of 38

sweetwise- has THE MAT been using on marshmallow fondant? I'm worried that since it's stickier than fondant you would buy, that it would still stick to the mat..... I would love to be able to use this product without the mess, but I also don't want to buy it and find out that the marshmallow fondant doesn't really release.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm
post #38 of 38

Please remember that business CANNOT be conducted in the forums, so let's keep strictly to the topic. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%