How Do You Roll Out Your Fondant?

Decorating By shmily23 Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 5:37pm by JanH

shmily23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shmily23 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 38

Hi,

Just wanted to know what everyone rolls out there fondant on? I took the wilton classes so I was taught shortening. I don't like the greesy sheen it leaves when you put it on the cake. So what's the best advice for having a nice clean look for fondant when rolling it out and placing it on the cake?

Thanks

37 replies
pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 38

I do a very thin layer of shortening on the table (very well cleaned off first) and then I add a generous layer of powdered sugar over the shortening. It keeps the fondant from sticking to the table and it doesn't give it that greasy look.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 38

I use a bit of powdered sugar. I also knead in a small bit of sweetex shortening at the beginning.

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 38

I so just emailed the sweetwise people to order that mat...I know its a long shot but would be awesome to have it by Friday to do my 80's cake. The thought of not having corn starch and powdered sugar all over is AMAZING!!!

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 38

icon_eek.gif I have never heard of this mat and now after seeing the video I MUST have it!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 38

I had already seen the mat and decided I wanted it. I told DH to get it next month for my birthday (along with my wish list).

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 38

I use vinyl I get at JoAnn's (you get in the drapery section). No shortening, no powdered sugar or anything is placed on it. Just roll my fondant and use my tube and transfer to cake.

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 38

I use the vinyl like Auntie RaRa - but I dust it with cornstarch from my little cheesecloth dusting bag. I like the cornstarch better than plain powdered sugar - I seem to be able to brush off the cornstarch better with a dry pastry brush once the fondant is on - no trace of cornstarch shows that way. The vinyl also helps contain the mess - it's easier to wipe clean than my counters and less sticky. I have one of the Wilton mats but it just wasn't big enough.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 38

Auntie_RaRa: Sorry; the vinyl there is general purpose and has heavy metals and toxins in them proven to cause cancer and other major health issues. If the Gov't won't let you put it in your house paint, why would you put it on your food?

Auntie_RaRa Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #10 of 38

Thank you for the information - this method was taught to my by cake instructors who work out of their homes and with bakeries so I didn't check out any issues. I will look into it and check out.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:03pm
post #11 of 38

Fondarific fondant on my stainless steel table with just a little cornstarch or powdered sugar. Fondarific says that you don't have to use anything but I use just a little to make sure it doesn't stick. I drape it over my rolling pin and put it on the cake. And my rolling pin, 2 1/2" diameter pvc pipe. Works great, sturdy, and cheap.

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #12 of 38

I just ordered mine!!! $21 with priority shipping isn't bad AT ALL to save time and money and LESS CLEAN UP!!! Now...hopefully it works as well as I am dreaming!!!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:18pm
post #13 of 38

I just ordered mine as well and I to hope it works like a charm!

@Sweetwise - Your question...."If the Gov't won't let you put it in your house paint, why would you put it on your food?" implies to me that I am knowingly causing harm. I know it's hard to determine tone with written text sometimes. When I know better, I do better. As a cake newbie at one point in time, this method was shown to me and I've seen it other cake shops. True, one can't always go by what you see and I should have asked questions. But, thank you for educating me and maybe others. thumbs_up.gif

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:31pm
post #14 of 38

Why did I even read this thread... icon_sad.gif Now thanks to all of you I have spent $25 on one of these mats. I just hope I am there when it is delivered and not hubby. icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #15 of 38

Wanted to see this video but utube says can't be found. Is there another link.

Also in reading the post, I have been using clear plastic tablecloth that you buy by the yard at hardware stores. Do you thinks these are toxic??

subyu62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subyu62 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 38

I just called and ordered 2 MAT sets. Now my daughter won't have to steal mine!! LOL

BTW.. did anyone see that snowflake cookie on the "tools" page?? It is GORGEOUS!!!

Sweetwise Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 38

Auntie_RaRa: So sorry; certainly didn't mean to imply any intentional cause of harm on your part. "Lost in translation" of sorts, I suppose. icon_smile.gif

It's so important to use food safe materials and ingredients- not to make anyone feel bad.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:05pm
post #18 of 38

The link is broken...any other?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #19 of 38

I use vinyl mat that I got at Joanns too. If you read what the FDA says about these types of products being food safe etc, they say not for prolonged contact with food. 5 minutes or less to roll out fondant is not prolonged in my opinion. Look at what the FDA says about dragees, yet I have been eating them on my cookies for 50 years and I am still here. You have to use common sense

bakemeacake78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeacake78 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:48pm
post #20 of 38

Click on this link:

http://www.sweetwise.com/

Once there click on "supplies and tools". There is a link posted on that page that will take you to the video.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:46am
post #21 of 38

Looked at the video. Guess what's going to the top of my "got to have list" lol

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #22 of 38

I'm ordering one too!! Thanks for all the videos they are very helpful and full of info! Do you ever travel and do classes? What kind of turntable is that?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:27am
post #23 of 38

To those who have ordered the mat, when it arrives...you must tell us if it's as good as it sounds! The one in the video doesn't have markings on it, but she said that one would. My husband thinks they'll be selling a "deluxe" set with the grid/markings. I think it's the one that's shipping now. So...when it arrives, let me know? icon_wink.gif

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #24 of 38

That mat looks like something that would make me not so scared of fondant anymore! I might have to get one!

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:02am
post #25 of 38

I'm so excited about this MAT! I'm hoping the deluxe model (the one that has measurements on it) is now available. Definately will be getting this! Thanks CCers for once again passing along info.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:18am
post #26 of 38

Sweetwise, Thank you for replying to my earlier post. I know sometimes things don't always come across in writing. It's all good! Now, if I was going through PMS...well that's another story...LOL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:46am
post #27 of 38

sweetwise, you have no idea what I purchased and I don't appreciate you coming on here and preaching so you can sell your product. Look up other threads on this subject, it has been discussed before in detail.

Sweetwise Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:41am
post #28 of 38

@pattycakesnj: I apologize for any offense I caused you. You're right; I don't know the specific vinyl that you purchased. I should correct my self and say that general purpose vinyl is awesome for craft projects - not trying to say negative things about it, it's just not intended for food.

I apologize also if we appear to be preaching to sell our product.

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 11:39am
post #29 of 38

This looks so great! Wow! Sweetwise-great product and fantastic invention. I'll be looking to buy one of these after I pay for my post-season MN Twins Tickets icon_smile.gif.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 3:19am
post #30 of 38

I got my mat today and LOVE IT. Had no cake to cover but luckily I had a dummy available. started working on the fondant and had company over stopped to chat then left it to run an errand came back at least and hour after and thought to myself I would probably have to toss the fondant out. But to my amazement it was still soft. IT REALLY WORKS. Can't wait to get the delux one when it comes out. THANK YOU

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%