Cake Squares

Decorating By JBCakesCo Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm by JBCakesCo

JBCakesCo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 8

Okay I have never done cake squares! Please instruct me on how to do this! I know you take a sheet cake and cut it and leave it together just decorate it. But how big do you cut the squares. This lady needs 250 so what size sheet cakes should I make and what size should the squares be please help I am freaking out! icon_sad.gif

7 replies
Karen421 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:29pm
post #2 of 8

Squares are super easy to cut! Indydebi has a tutorial on here on cutting all cakes - it's great!!

JBCakesCo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks I am going to look now!

kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCakesCo

Okay I have never done cake squares! Please instruct me on how to do this! I know you take a sheet cake and cut it and leave it together just decorate it. But how big do you cut the squares. This lady needs 250 so what size sheet cakes should I make and what size should the squares be please help I am freaking out! icon_sad.gif

I've never heard of cutting a cake FIRST then decorating it.

Here is what I do if they want 'squares' Frost the cake. Then measure, and mark off (I use dental floss to just press into the crusted buttercream. Sometimes I'll pipe down the mark and put a flower, initial, whatever the occasion calls for in the center of each square.

Then THEY follow your lines and cut it as it's served.

JBCakesCo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCakesCo

I've never heard of cutting a cake FIRST then decorating it.

Here is what I do if they want 'squares' Frost the cake. Then measure, and mark off (I use dental floss to just press into the crusted buttercream. Sometimes I'll pipe down the mark and put a flower, initial, whatever the occasion calls for in the center of each square.

Then THEY follow your lines and cut it as it's served.

But what size do you cut it like I have a 12x18 sheet cake. I just don't want her to have to have a million sheet cakes cause she does need alot of squares.

kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:51pm
post #6 of 8

You need to ask your customer first, what size slice she'd like to use. There are cake cutting charts on the net that can guide you. http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/party-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

There is one to get you started.

JBCakesCo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 8

Okay so according to wilton cutting them 1.5 x 2 inches a full sheet would give me 72 squares so I'd have to make 3 full sheets and 1 quarter sheet to get the full 250 squares. Geez lol. Its just alot of math lol.

JBCakesCo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

Okay so according to wilton cutting them 1.5 x 2 inches a full sheet would give me 72 squares so I'd have to make 3 full sheets and 1 quarter sheet to get the full 250 squares. Geez lol. Its just alot of math lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%