Cupcakes Sticking To The Paper

Baking By zespri Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm by zespri

zespri Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:12am
post #1 of 10

Well I just tried the WASC scratch cake recipe for the first time, and it's delicious! However, it has stuck to my cupcake wrappers like mad.

I'm assuming my method is to blame, can anyone shed any light on it for me?

Ta icon_smile.gif

9 replies
lollyponpon Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:37am
post #2 of 10

yeah i made the recipe last weekend, and after all of the hype i wasn't that keen on it because the tops were so terribly sticky and you couldn't tuoch them without damaging them etc!
I hope somebody does give you an answer because i have obviously done the same thing! icon_biggrin.gif
Quick question, when you say "from scratch", did you use the "scratch" mix that starts with a box??
Cuz it's not really from scratch is it? LOL i really want one that has flour requirements etc--no box at all! I think it is hard to know, maybe american box cake mixes are bigger than yours or mine?? and this has affected us??
thanks!

zespri Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 9:59am
post #3 of 10

No, don't know about Aussie, but box cakes here are nothing to write home about.

I used this recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/a-better-white-scratch-cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollyponpon

Quick question, when you say "from scratch", did you use the "scratch" mix that starts with a box??
Cuz it's not really from scratch is it? LOL i really want one that has flour requirements etc--no box at all! I think it is hard to know, maybe american box cake mixes are bigger than yours or mine?? and this has affected us??
thanks!

lollyponpon Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 11:12am
post #4 of 10

Oh thank you!! I will have to give that a try instead... the one i had you needed to use a box mix then "extend" it!! An interesting convo i am having on here at the moment is about the difference in measurements... and i have only just found out that when the americans say "1 cup" thats only 240ml of liquid--but in Aust it is 250ml... so naturally lot's of things are turning out "differently" hehe!!
Thanks again for the reply-hope somebody can help with the original post too! icon_smile.gif

zespri Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 10

nooooooo..... are you serious?! You would think we'd have an international standard for something as simple as a cup! Can you post a link to the discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollyponpon

An interesting convo i am having on here at the moment is about the difference in measurements... and i have only just found out that when the americans say "1 cup" thats only 240ml of liquid--but in Aust it is 250ml... so naturally lot's of things are turning out "differently" hehe!!

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #6 of 10

Of course she's serious. LOL. 10ML less for us in the US. But if you were in Japan, it would only be 200ML and that would really mess you up.

Here's a measurement article from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

I'm very careful with these things. Thank goodness I haven't baked from my Australian magazines.

zespri Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 10

oh my goodness! I'm so glad I learned this, I'll make sure I list any recipe's in weight from now on.

I had a little smile about the japanese measurements, as it seems like everything in Japan is smaller, mildly amusing that even their measuring cups are too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

10ML less for us in the US. But if you were in Japan, it would only be 200ML and that would really mess you up.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 10

Well, at least you're not like my aunt (knows nothing about cooking or baking). I asked her the other day to help me measure stuff for cupcakes and when I said "one cup" I saw her reaching for a regular cup, the ones you drink coffee from. lol. Had to yell at her and show her the measuring cups. She's clueless.

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 10

Zespri, there was a thread about cupcake liners sticking to the cakes, not too long ago. I'll see if I can find it for you. What type of paper did you use? The ones on the other thread were Wilton liners.

zespri Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 10

Hi folks

I just found a potential answer from another source, so thought I'd share it in case anyone else with the probelm finds this thread.

This is what I found on another website, verbatim. It was definitely a very thin batter!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"What usually makes the cupcakes stick to the papers or the other way around I say....paper stick to cupcakes is that the batter is too thin and it creaps into small spaces in the paper and it then sticks the batter to the paper.

Try thickening your batter a little, you can actully thicken it up quite a bit.
Fill each one only 1/2 full as well because sometime the batter will overflow on top and inveloping the paper in the batter as it grows and folds over the paper and unto the cupcake pan.

It is always better to have a thicker batter than a thinner batter."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%