Flavored Cookies And Frosting Question

Baking By sweetlybaked Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm by pettycakes

sweetlybaked Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:40am
post #1 of 5

I want to make some sugar cookies. I love the NFSC recipe and I use Antonia74's icing recipe. I want to try flavoring the cookie and frosting. Would it be beneficial to switch to gemini's glaze? I can't use LorAnn's oil in Antonia's icing right? I seem to remember that you can't mix oil with RI. Any help would be much appreciated! TIA.

4 replies
bonniebakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

I wouldn't use oil, but you can certainly use extracts - I do that all the time!

Lita829 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 5
Originally Posted by bonniebakes

I wouldn't use oil, but you can certainly use extracts - I do that all the time!

Ditto. I also use fruit juices.

PinkChateau Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 5

LorAnn oils contain no "oil" so it is safe to use with any royal icing recipe. I do it all the time. Here is the posting on LorAnn Oils' website.

"What is a Flavoring (Candy) Oil? Flavoring oils are highly concentrated flavors. The word "candy oil" has been used for many years to describe a type of flavoring that is potent enough to be used in hard candy making.-these flavors do not contain vegetable oil. Because our flavors are concentrated, they are able to hold up better when exposed to heat."

pettycakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 5

I made a batch of RI this morning and put peppermint extract in it. It actually had a nice taste. Getting a jump on some snowflakes for cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%