Cupcake Help

Baking By rooch Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 3:47am by caymancake

rooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooch Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:31am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone. I was asked by my kids' school to do an introduction to cupcake decorating as an after school activity this semester. I plan on using the first session (each session is an hour long and will include 10 children ranging from 3rd grade to 5th grade) to give them the basics of buttercream; how to tint, how to fill a bag, practicing with star, and dot tips, showing them how to cover cupcake either with a pouf of buttercream using 1M or a spatula and letting them cover a cupcake at the end using one of the above choices.

I know 1 class i will introduce them to fondant and show them how to roll, tint, keep it from sticking and them show them how to cover a cupcake with a fondant cupcake.

I plan on having 1 session include "cone" cupcakes and will have the kids choose between doing a buttercream clown and/or a fondant cherry/hot fudge and buttercream "whipped cream."

I thought about having the kids do fondant "leaves" painted with luster dust for November along with a cupcake with a fondant acorn/ possible turkey.

December will do snowman cupcakes (boring???) and i thought maybe a snowflake stencil or stamping and then brushing with luster dust? Would love to use royal icing but don't want to use sooo many mediums.

I also looked through "Hello Cupcake" and thought maybe it would be nice to do one of their "doggie" cupcakes that uses marshmallows 2 cupcakes for each dog. Or, cut out fondant flowers/sporting theme.

Liked the ladybug on buttercream grass cupcakes i've seen everywhere too. I am just having soo much trouble coming up with a 8-10 week syllabus and would love any help out there! Has anyone taken a course like this for their kids? thanks guys!!!!

1 reply
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 2

I haven't attended any classes like that, but when I used to work in the schools, I would bake cupcakes and bring icing with me. Each set of kids that I would work with would have a free day (I'm a speech therapist), to decorate their own little holiday cupcake. I pretinted the icings, so just let the kids decorate their own...they LOVED it.

I would say just try going with the seasons or the holiday for that month...so October may something Halloweenish, November - Thanksgiving, December - Christmas, etc. Then in the New Year you can pick a random theme...like Bugs in January, Hearts in February, Spring in March etc.

From what you described, it sounds like its going to be awesome. Don't worry about impressing the kids - whatever they do they will have a blast!

I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%