Long Center Dowel

Decorating By Jess1019 Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 2:32am by sberryp

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 6

Where do you get these. Also, do I have to put a hole through the cake boards before hammering in the dowel or if it is sharpened on the end will it poke through without problems? I am about to attempt my first topsy turvy cake and want to make sure it has the support it needs.

THANKS!

5 replies
tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1019

Where do you get these. Also, do I have to put a hole through the cake boards before hammering in the dowel or if it is sharpened on the end will it poke through without problems? I am about to attempt my first topsy turvy cake and want to make sure it has the support it needs.

THANKS!

Wooden dowels can be purchased at a hardware store or crafts store in different thicknesses and lengths.

I have heard (read) different thoughts on putting a hole through the boards vs hammering them. I sharpen the dowel and hammer away and like magic, it goes right through and doesn't mess up the cake.
I've not done a topsy yet, but have watched tutorials. It looks similar in structure to a tiered wedding cake ,stacked.

Hope this helps!

melissad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissad Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #3 of 6

I sharpen my dowel in our electric pencil sharpener, then drive it through the cake boards (cardboard). Usually get mine at Lowe's just because it's convenient.

I'm working on my first topsy-turvy too--good luck!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 6

i have found long wooden dowels at Albertsons for toasting marshmallows. they are food grade, sharpened already and 30" long, 6 for $2.99, they generally hang at the end of the aisle.

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 6

THANKS YOU EVERYONE!!!!! Melissad = good luck!!! I don't know about you but I am super nervous.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:32am
post #6 of 6

I get mine from walmart in the craft section or you can get them from your local cake store. i use a regular pencil that I only use for my dowels to sharpen them or you can buy the dowels already sharpened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%