What Do You Use For Cake Boards?

Decorating By carebearlove Updated 26 May 2017 , 11:52am by AndyStaffan

carebearlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carebearlove Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 76

What do you use for cake boards and what do you cover the board with? Iknow this is important, up until now, ive just used tinfoil to cover boards with. Cakes are my hobby, so for now i need a good cheap source for boards.

75 replies
beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 76

This is what I do. I use cut pieces of ply wood (round, square, rectangular, etc...). I cover them with foil only. I tried the fondant, which does look nice, but I thought it was such a waste of fondant. I do charge $10 rental fee for the boards which is refunded when I get the board back.

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 76

I work in food service in a school kitchen and have access to boxes galore. The bread and bun boxes come with a cardboard separator between the layers and they are just the right size for a sheet cake board, if you don't want anything too heavy. I collect them for my cakes and I cover them with freezer paper, with the shiny side turned out, so the oils in the icing don't soak through. Just tape in underneath. It works great and is probably cheaper than foil. You can also cut the cardboard any shape or size you want, maybe even double it.
For a heavier cake, but not too heavy, paneling works well, but for a layered wedding cake, plywood works best.

k-loveevents Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k-loveevents Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 76

I use Plywood too. I love plywood because it's fairly inexpensive, can be reused and I can cut it into any shape or size I need. I even made one that looked like a leaf for a lady bug cake once. I cover them with fabric or fondant mostly. I think foil makes the cakes look cheap, and after I've spent hours working on a piece of art I don't want the cake board of all things to make a bad impression.

beesweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesweetcakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 76

I love the fabric idea. What kind of fabric do you use and how do keep it from looking greasy when you put a BC border around the cake?

tammieshelley2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammieshelley2 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:30pm
post #6 of 76

I went to a local flea market and bought several beutiful large glass cake servers, some have pedestals and other just small feet. All were less than 3 dollars a piece. They are great for elegant looking cakes. For larger, moer rustic cakes, I found a large wood lazy susan at Old Time pottery. I put cakes on it and since it revolves people can move it around, look at the backside, without damaging the cake.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:02am
post #7 of 76

plywood covered in fondant to match the cake. I cut them for each cake according to size or design (sometimes the board becomes an extention of the design or a custom shape) I do not require getting them back. They are built into my price. No worries about flexing, dead strong (even when delivering 5 tier cake already stacked) and looks great. Worth the peace of mind for me

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:17am
post #8 of 76

The fabric part,,is it ok to use that and not hurt anything with the cake like dyes??

ALso, how do you shape the plywood into shapes when store only does round or square for you?

AND do you cover cake board with anything before applying fondant on it or just fondant straight on?

Thanks
Jenifer

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 76

for smaller cakes i usually use foam core board from the craft store, here i pay 4$ a board and wrap in food grade cake foil, or use fondant to cover the board (usually if i have an abundance of one color) i usually trim the board out with a ribbon as well. for a larger cake (tractor) i used a melamine board, great because i got it in white and it's food safe (our counters are made of it) i just have to make sure they are returned!

jenscreativity Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:44am
post #10 of 76

melamine board? Where do you get that and how much does that run? I do a lot of heavier cakes, so foam core is too expensive for me.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:22am
post #11 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

The fabric part,,is it ok to use that and not hurt anything with the cake like dyes??

ALso, how do you shape the plywood into shapes when store only does round or square for you?

AND do you cover cake board with anything before applying fondant on it or just fondant straight on?

Thanks
Jenifer

I just make sure I have cleaned the wood and then mist with water before I cover with fondant. The fondant becomes the food safe barrier and I instruct my customers that it is not meant to be peeled off and eaten (in case there are kids around who would actually think of doing that lol)

I use a jigsaw to cut my boards (or a circular saw if its square) I do not have them cut at home depot. I have some woodworking and furniture making experience so we have a lot of tools.

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:36am
post #12 of 76

I was wondering if the self ashesive shelving paper would work (the kind people line their kitchen cabinets with) for this as well. I am just starting to realize that I need to pay more attention to the boards, especially after looking at the pics on this site. I do want to know that if I use fabric do you cover that with something or leave it as is, I am just afraid of getting a grease ring around the cake from the frosting.

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:48am
post #13 of 76

I'm a frugal chick, CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!

I hit the area stores for clean cardboard. Something that hasn't sat on a floor or contained anything nasty like flea spray!(I like paper towel boxes!)
It's Eco friendly!

I cut the size I need and cover it with white freezer wrap, shiny side up.
Lately, I've been trying to attach a ribbon to the outside edge of the cake circle. I've seen where some folks have covered their circles with some scrap booking paper, then covered with plastic. They look wonderful, but I haven't figured out how to do it. I can't get my plastic wrap smooth with out wrinkles.

HTH

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:50am
post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezercakes

I was wondering if the self ashesive shelving paper would work (the kind people line their kitchen cabinets with) for this as well. I am just starting to realize that I need to pay more attention to the boards, especially after looking at the pics on this site. I do want to know that if I use fabric do you cover that with something or leave it as is, I am just afraid of getting a grease ring around the cake from the frosting.

There have been ongoing discussions about the adhesive in shelf paper not being food safe.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:56am
post #15 of 76

I get foam board from the dollar store so it is economical for me. I cover it in press n seal to make it food safe, but that is made in the size of the cake. I use another larger board for the cake to sit on.

weezercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezercakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:57am
post #16 of 76

Thanks for letting me know

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:58am
post #17 of 76

Lately I have been doing several layers of cardboard (with corrugations running in different directions on the different pieces). Pretty paper on top, and then cover the stack with Press N Seal wrap. Hot glue a ribbon around the edge.

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:33am
post #18 of 76

i guess it depends on how heavy the cake will be..for a layer not too heavy cake..cardboard will do for me..2 cardboards.. for layered cakes..Plywood is the best..cheaper and reusable..foil and fondant.. icon_wink.gif

jenscreativity Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 4:49am
post #19 of 76

endymion, i like that you cover with plastic seal,,but does it stick good without glueing on also? thanks

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 2:55pm
post #20 of 76

The press N Seal has a sticky coating, so it sticks pretty well. But you ccould tape it on the bottom (or use a circle of shelf liner on the bottom) to secure it as well.

carebearlove Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:28pm
post #21 of 76

The email notifier must not be working. thumbsdown.gif Thanks everyone for the help.I do mostky small cakes so i may check out the dollar store for foam boards. I dont have the tools for cutting plywood, although I like that idea. I like to do practice cakes as I feel im not that good. so a lot of them are for friends birthdays. ive lost plenty of boards so I like the idea of a disposable one! Thanks and Happy cakin! icon_biggrin.gif

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 76

I use cardboard cake boards for most cakes and plywood for large tiered cakes.

To cover my boards, I use the very inexpensive colored table covers found at most party supply/walmart/hobby stores. They come in tons of colors and will cover many, many boards.

carebearlove Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #23 of 76

Thats a very good idea, Thanks!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:55pm
post #24 of 76

On larger cakes I use 1/2 inch foamboard and for smaller ones I just use the 3/16 inch foamboard. I use scrapbook paper or wrapping paper and then cover it with clear contact paper to keep the board from getting greasy from the cake. It is light and it does not bend under the weight. I've made some pretty heavy cakes and not had a problem. I also like to trim it with scrapbook ribbon which is exactly the right width for the foamboard.

CakeMixCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMixCakery Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 12:12am
post #25 of 76

We buy a 2X4 sheet of 1/2 in thick inch particle board from lowes or home depot. My husband cuts it down to the size needed, and it works great for us. Its only 5 bucks and we can get about 8-10 boards

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #26 of 76

Does anybody attach feet to their boards or something else to make it easier to pick up the board? If so, what do you use?

Lisa622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa622 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 12:56am
post #27 of 76

I need to cover plywood with fondant to be the base of a pretty large cake. If I understand correctly, I just need to slightly wet the plywood and the fondant will stick. Is that correct? Does anyone have any other suggestions that works better. Does piping gel work any better? I'm a little nervous icon_biggrin.gif

lauriekailee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauriekailee Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 1:24am
post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo2222

Does anybody attach feet to their boards or something else to make it easier to pick up the board? If so, what do you use?

i always use a small maybe 2" X 2" fence board and chop it into 2" heights to put on the bottom of the plywood...does that make sense?

carebearlove Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 7:15pm
post #29 of 76

A few more ?s. What is the easiest way to cover a ply-wood board with fondant? Do i need to prep it? If so, how? Also where can i find foamcore boards?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 8:56pm
post #30 of 76

Once a year or so Hubby orders me a Pallet..Yes a pallet which is about $500.00 of 1/2 inch honey combed cardboard from a local distributer...We then cut most of the boards to fit my standard size slab cake box and leave extra for custom sizes...Then we stack it all in my basement.Best cardboard ever..very sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%