How Do I Get Buttercream White And Smooth?

Baking By mrsmac888 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm by kansaslaura

mrsmac888 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 8

Two questions here. I make an awsome buttercream from unsalted butter, high ratio shortening and cream cheese. It doesn't come out white. How do people get their buttercream white???

Second. I have an awful time getting my buttercream super smooth. I know, practice, practice, practice....but, what I'd like to know is this. Maybe my buttercream, going on the cake, is not the right consistency. Can someone describe what the consistency should be like? I've seen on the Wilton site that the consistency should be like sour cream. Is this correct? When I make mine, "sour cream" seems too soft.

Thanks,
Christina

7 replies
hollyml Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 8

You won't get perfectly white BC if you use butter and cream cheese -- true white BC is made with only shortening. (And clear or white flavorings, too, instead of the normal brown-color vanilla extract.) If you want to keep the superior taste of the butter, but get a truer white color, you can try white food coloring. (But in many cases, a creamy off-white color is actually fine.)

As for getting the frosting smooth, the texture of the BC can make a difference but it's mostly about technique and tools. Are you using the Viva paper towel method, or just a spatula, or what? Have you tried different methods of applying the frosting to the cake before smoothing it (spatula, piping tip, icing tip) to see what's easiest for you? Are you mixing a large enough batch of BC to completely cover the beaters, so you aren't whipping in air bubbles?

Pretty sure my BC is quite a bit firmer than sour cream...I often make it firmer (add more powdered sugar) for fillings, medium for piping, a bit softer for icing the cake, and much softer (add more milk or other liquid) for crumb-coating.

kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 8

Sour cream consistency won't hold up to piping. I'd say, if I had to compare it to something maybe a softened cream cheese.

mrsmac888 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:43am
post #4 of 8

Hollyml and Kansaslaura,

Thanks for the responses. I thought sour cream consistency was too soft also. I use the large icing tip for application, then use a spatula to smooth, then the viva paper towel method. I just can't seem to get it super smooth.

kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:07am
post #5 of 8

Here you go, this is what I swear by for smooth buttercream http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

mrsmac888 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 8

Kansaslaura,
Thank you for the link, I'm going to try that one! Very interesting!

Christina

mrsmac888 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Here you go, this is what I swear by for smooth buttercream http://cakecentral.com/articles/126/quick-easy-smooth-icing-using-a-roller-melvira-method

Kansaslaura,
Thank you for the link, I'm going to try that one! Very interesting!

Christina

kansaslaura Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 8

You're welcome! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%