Beginner's Question About A Baking Time?

Baking By 2outspoken Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 12:10pm by 2outspoken

2outspoken Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

How much batter should I use for a 8x8x4 deep square cake pan and how long should I bake it for? Is a nail required for this type of pan? Thanks!

6 replies
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 7

You have a 4" deep pan?

When I bake a square 8x8x2 cake, it uses one cake mix. So my assumption would be that a 4" deep pan would use twice that .... 2 cake mixes or twice the scratch-batter needed for one 8x8x2 pan.

I don't use flower nails in my cakes, but for a 4" deep pan, I'd recommend one AND I'd use the baking strips AND reduce the temp in your oven.

2outspoken Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, it's a four inch deep square cake pan. I was thinking that also, but haven't done enough baking yet, to feel confident about it. THANKS SOO MUCH FOR THE REPLY!

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 7

a lot of this is "learn as you go", so if you have to do it a couple of times to get it right, don't stress it. icon_wink.gif You may have to play with baking times and oven temp before you find the right combination. thumbs_up.gif

kellikrause Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know how indy feels about this (she is awesome!!)...but I always pull cake out before the toothpick is clean. I like a few crumbs on mine because of carry-over cooking. I just feel like if the toothpick is clean the cake is too dry. Right or wrong, I don't know, but works for me.

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 7

I agree with kelli.

2outspoken Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone for the support! I love this site and you guys are the best! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%