Nervous...black Fondant

Decorating By walterak Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm by 808hedda

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 23

I am doing a cake on Thursday and the bottom 12" round will be totally black fondant...so scared. I have never made black before and have read horror stories on here. I planned on using JEYDE's recipe for True Black MMF as MMF is all I use.

If anyone have any tips they would like to pass along. I know the recipe reads 1 1lb bag of pwd sugar, but that seems so low. I am wondering how many batches I will need to cover my 2 layer 12" round cake.

22 replies
ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 23

I make black fondant often. I've never had any horrific results/issues. First, use Americolor gel and add while your marshmallows are melting. Not sure about that recipe so I can't help you with quantity.

Babs1964 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 23

Walterak could you please share that recipe? Thanks Babs

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 23

Yes. Here it is!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

I use Americolor too and always color while my marshmallows are melting..wouldnt have it any other way!!! I hate kneeding...unless I have a small amount!!! I had to make a tiny amount of black for my daughters birthday, and it turned out ok. Just never covered an entire, large tier before.

mareg Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 23

How much coloring do you have to put in to get a nice black color?

LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 23

you guys are brave! I use Satin Ice fondant in black!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 23

How much Satin Ice do you use for a 12" round?

LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 23

I usually just eye- ball what I will need. I don't measure it out. 12" round takes a decent amount though- but at least you are Not mixing more than you need. You can just throw what you don't use back in the bucket for next time!
The only advice I will give you is that if you use corn starch or powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to your mat- you will have a dusty residue all over your black fondant. I steam my cakes with a hand steamer and that cleans the residue right up. Hope this helps!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 23

My only problem is I make all my fondant since it is so expensive to buy. I normally make 2 batches of MMF for a 12" square, so thought I would do the same for my round. I use almost an entire bag of powdered sugar so I am guessing 1 batch is about 2 lbs. BUT, I was going to use the above referenced recipe this time. I think I might be able to get my hands on 2 lbs of satin ice for $20...but I am thinking that is not enough. UGH...didn't budget to have to buy fondant...last resort...I will have to try to make my own and if it doesnt work...to the cake deco store I will go!!

LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 23

I hear you! Fondant is so expensive.. One of these days I will try and make my own. Do you have a good recipe?
I would think 2 pounds is plenty for a 12" round- depending on how high your cake is.
Good luck!

Mexx Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 23

Wilton's website has a chart that sets out how much fondant is required for different cake sizes.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

Hope this helps

msulli10 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 23

I either use Satin Ice or Duff's with a 50% off coupon at Michaels.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 23

For mine I usually do

1 bag mini marshmallows
1 2lb bag powdered sugar
about 2 TBS of water
a little shortening

If I need to color a full batch, I use a little less water and add my color to the melted marshmallow, before adding the sugar.

I melt my marshmallows with the water in the microwave till they are soupy.

Then I add my color, knowing that the pwd sugar will lighten it slightly.

Then I work in my powdered sugar will it is no longer sticky. No real teqnique. I do grease my bowl, spoon and hands. I usually add a little sugar into the bown, then I pour my bown out onto a large pile of powdered sugar and start working at getting the sugar mixed in with my hands.

BUT...my recipe is different than the True Black MMF recipe I found. I am unsure as to how much that makes as it calls for half the sugar but the same amount of mm's.

According to the chart, I need 3 lbs to cover a 12" round that is 4" high.

This will also be my first time making my fondant ahead of time...so I am nervouc about taht too. I just hope it turns out ok.

QueenJessica Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 23

I've made black a few times. Yes it does take a lot of color! I found chefmaster or americolor works well.

leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 23

Definitely add the color to the melted marshmallows. It takes a lot LESS color than if you try to knead it in. Color your MM until black and then add the PS. It stays black this way.

I made black MMF this way for this cake and I didn't have to add any additional color once I mixed in the PS.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 23

leily...
Did you make it out of chocolate so it was already brown? Or did you just use regular MMF? I have a little tiny less than 1 americolor...do I need to get more?

Tiffany0481 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 23

I make my own fondant and have made black several times. I always find that I need it for something on a lot of my cakes. Anyway, I make both MMF and MFF and when I have to make black I always use MMF because it is easier to mix the color in (i find). I, too, use Americolor and mix it into the marshmallow mix before adding the PS. I find that the Americolor gets darker than Wilton.

Don't be scared ... you will do great!! Post pics and good luck!!

trishvanhoozer Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 23

I usually make my black fondant (MMF) I have some black based cakes on my photos for you to reference how it turns out. I add one full little "jar" of black Wilton paste color to the marshmallows while they are heating and melting. I usually let my Kitchen Aid do the kneading for me, so it is simple, no mess and always the most perfect color. I do however use about 1/8 more cup of shortening to the entire recipe. After it kneads for 10 minutes or so, I ball it up, double bag it and put it in a sealed container and use it until gone. I eyeball my fondant for cakes so can't help you with the portion for that size, but one recipe usually covers a pretty large cake with leftovers. I even use my homemade MMF in black in my clay extruder.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 23

I am so nervouse to use my KA. Its not mine...its my MILs and I don't want to break it!!! I plan on making it this week...wednesday or Thursday. I guess I should go get an extra black americolor just in case.

Thanks ladies. I am kicking myself because I also just realized my 12" probably should have just been a 10" and I am so nervous my 12" with an 8" on top with a stereo on that will look crappy!

leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

leily...
Did you make it out of chocolate so it was already brown? Or did you just use regular MMF? I have a little tiny less than 1 americolor...do I need to get more?

Nope i don't use chocolate icing for dark colors b/c i have customers who can't have chocolate. I used maybe 1/4-1/2 of the small bottle of americolor.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #21 of 23

Thats good news...now I dont know which to try...the chocolate or just mine with black at melting. Oh the choices.

JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 23

Please remember that business CANNOT be conducted in the forums, so let's keep strictly to the topic. icon_smile.gif

808hedda Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 23

walterak- I'm sure it's too late but for future reference, I love the true black fondant recipe. I make it in advance and I even made red with red candy melts. Some time when you can play just make a batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%