Nervous...black Fondant

Decorating By walterak Updated 13 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm by 808hedda

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 23

I am doing a cake on Thursday and the bottom 12" round will be totally black fondant...so scared. I have never made black before and have read horror stories on here. I planned on using JEYDE's recipe for True Black MMF as MMF is all I use.

If anyone have any tips they would like to pass along. I know the recipe reads 1 1lb bag of pwd sugar, but that seems so low. I am wondering how many batches I will need to cover my 2 layer 12" round cake.

22 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 23

I make black fondant often. I've never had any horrific results/issues. First, use Americolor gel and add while your marshmallows are melting. Not sure about that recipe so I can't help you with quantity.

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 23

Walterak could you please share that recipe? Thanks Babs

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 23

Yes. Here it is!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6971/true-black-mmf

I use Americolor too and always color while my marshmallows are melting..wouldnt have it any other way!!! I hate kneeding...unless I have a small amount!!! I had to make a tiny amount of black for my daughters birthday, and it turned out ok. Just never covered an entire, large tier before.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 23

How much coloring do you have to put in to get a nice black color?

LadyJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 23

you guys are brave! I use Satin Ice fondant in black!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 23

How much Satin Ice do you use for a 12" round?

LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 23

I usually just eye- ball what I will need. I don't measure it out. 12" round takes a decent amount though- but at least you are Not mixing more than you need. You can just throw what you don't use back in the bucket for next time!
The only advice I will give you is that if you use corn starch or powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to your mat- you will have a dusty residue all over your black fondant. I steam my cakes with a hand steamer and that cleans the residue right up. Hope this helps!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 23

My only problem is I make all my fondant since it is so expensive to buy. I normally make 2 batches of MMF for a 12" square, so thought I would do the same for my round. I use almost an entire bag of powdered sugar so I am guessing 1 batch is about 2 lbs. BUT, I was going to use the above referenced recipe this time. I think I might be able to get my hands on 2 lbs of satin ice for $20...but I am thinking that is not enough. UGH...didn't budget to have to buy fondant...last resort...I will have to try to make my own and if it doesnt work...to the cake deco store I will go!!

LadyJay Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 23

I hear you! Fondant is so expensive.. One of these days I will try and make my own. Do you have a good recipe?
I would think 2 pounds is plenty for a 12" round- depending on how high your cake is.
Good luck!

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 23

Wilton's website has a chart that sets out how much fondant is required for different cake sizes.

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

Hope this helps

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 23

I either use Satin Ice or Duff's with a 50% off coupon at Michaels.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 23

For mine I usually do

1 bag mini marshmallows
1 2lb bag powdered sugar
about 2 TBS of water
a little shortening

If I need to color a full batch, I use a little less water and add my color to the melted marshmallow, before adding the sugar.

I melt my marshmallows with the water in the microwave till they are soupy.

Then I add my color, knowing that the pwd sugar will lighten it slightly.

Then I work in my powdered sugar will it is no longer sticky. No real teqnique. I do grease my bowl, spoon and hands. I usually add a little sugar into the bown, then I pour my bown out onto a large pile of powdered sugar and start working at getting the sugar mixed in with my hands.

BUT...my recipe is different than the True Black MMF recipe I found. I am unsure as to how much that makes as it calls for half the sugar but the same amount of mm's.

According to the chart, I need 3 lbs to cover a 12" round that is 4" high.

This will also be my first time making my fondant ahead of time...so I am nervouc about taht too. I just hope it turns out ok.

QueenJessica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenJessica Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 23

I've made black a few times. Yes it does take a lot of color! I found chefmaster or americolor works well.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:11pm
post #15 of 23

Definitely add the color to the melted marshmallows. It takes a lot LESS color than if you try to knead it in. Color your MM until black and then add the PS. It stays black this way.

I made black MMF this way for this cake and I didn't have to add any additional color once I mixed in the PS.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=25555

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 23

leily...
Did you make it out of chocolate so it was already brown? Or did you just use regular MMF? I have a little tiny less than 1 americolor...do I need to get more?

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:35pm
post #17 of 23

I make my own fondant and have made black several times. I always find that I need it for something on a lot of my cakes. Anyway, I make both MMF and MFF and when I have to make black I always use MMF because it is easier to mix the color in (i find). I, too, use Americolor and mix it into the marshmallow mix before adding the PS. I find that the Americolor gets darker than Wilton.

Don't be scared ... you will do great!! Post pics and good luck!!

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 23

I usually make my black fondant (MMF) I have some black based cakes on my photos for you to reference how it turns out. I add one full little "jar" of black Wilton paste color to the marshmallows while they are heating and melting. I usually let my Kitchen Aid do the kneading for me, so it is simple, no mess and always the most perfect color. I do however use about 1/8 more cup of shortening to the entire recipe. After it kneads for 10 minutes or so, I ball it up, double bag it and put it in a sealed container and use it until gone. I eyeball my fondant for cakes so can't help you with the portion for that size, but one recipe usually covers a pretty large cake with leftovers. I even use my homemade MMF in black in my clay extruder.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #19 of 23

I am so nervouse to use my KA. Its not mine...its my MILs and I don't want to break it!!! I plan on making it this week...wednesday or Thursday. I guess I should go get an extra black americolor just in case.

Thanks ladies. I am kicking myself because I also just realized my 12" probably should have just been a 10" and I am so nervous my 12" with an 8" on top with a stereo on that will look crappy!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterak

leily...
Did you make it out of chocolate so it was already brown? Or did you just use regular MMF? I have a little tiny less than 1 americolor...do I need to get more?

Nope i don't use chocolate icing for dark colors b/c i have customers who can't have chocolate. I used maybe 1/4-1/2 of the small bottle of americolor.

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #21 of 23

Thats good news...now I dont know which to try...the chocolate or just mine with black at melting. Oh the choices.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:11pm
post #22 of 23

Please remember that business CANNOT be conducted in the forums, so let's keep strictly to the topic. icon_smile.gif

808hedda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
808hedda Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 10:48pm
post #23 of 23

walterak- I'm sure it's too late but for future reference, I love the true black fondant recipe. I make it in advance and I even made red with red candy melts. Some time when you can play just make a batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%