What Colors You Used For Fondant??help!! (I'm Italian)

Decorating By krystal0611 Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm by tipsytaartje

krystal0611 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone!

I'm Italian and I need your help about the colors to use to color the fondant! Here in Italy the shops sell only the colour (gel) of "Decora" that is the distributor of some colors Wilton! But the colors are really ugly, almost pastel and some are impossible to achieve (eg brown or black or red)!

Instead I saw that your cakes have beautiful color, very intense and even other pearl (what are they called this?)

So I would buy the colors that you used, from ebay, but I don't know what to look for. Can you help me?

Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
MessMaker Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 13

Americolor Gels

numberonebun Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 13

I use many wilton, or americolor brand colors. And I finish the majority of my cakes with luster dust. I love that shimmer effect! I also have a very difficult time with red and black. Usually I have to use so much color that my hands are dyed for days.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 13

You have to look for Americolor Gels, as everyone else says. They even have a set of colors called ELECTRIC COLORS.

As for achieving that nice red, I know someone here has very red colors in her cakes. Her name in CC is ANGELFOOD4.

This is her blog (post about how to make marshmallow fondant and color and flavor it with a Jello Mix before adding the Wilton No Taste Red, which also has an equivalent in the Americolor set)
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/09/recipe-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

And, if you're interested, there's also a post about covering your cake with ganache under the fondant to achieve that perfect look:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

Hope this helps a little. As for really black fondant, I've read that you should start with chocolate fondant so that you don't have to add that much black.

flamingobaker Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 13

Using pre-colored fondant is another way to get the rich deep colors. Satin Ice's colors are staurated so you can mix them with other colors, and white, and get great colors.

krystal0611 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you very much! Now I understand what to buy! You are very kind! Thanks again ^_^

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 13

flamingobaker, unfortunately (or fortunately? lol I would love to live there!) she's in Italy and they have limited options. I totally get it. My sister in Ecuador had never seen fondant but she wanted to use it. I had to send her fondant from the US so that she could see what it was like and then she could make it herself! Ugh...a total pain. She also couldn't buy any colors, so I had to send a big box of those...We're so lucky here.

krystal0611 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 13

You have right!! Here in Italy almost no one knows the fondant!! You're very lucky! ^_^

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 13

Krystal, a lot of people make fondant using marshmallows. It's delicious, especially for children. The link i sent you before has instructions, but there's also a lot of instructions with pictures in the internet. I guess I'll have to make my own if/when I go live there!

krystal0611 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah, in fact I do it at home. icon_wink.gif

But the colors, equipment .... very hard to find! Fortunately there are websites and forums like this that help us!

Thanks again for your valuable advice ^ _ ^

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 13

Globalsugarart ships internationally. You might want to check it out, even if for just ideas on what to get somewhere else. (Tthere's a tab on the left that's called AMERICOLOR.) You can see the colors there. They have everything.

www.globalsugarart.com

numberonebun Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

And, if you're interested, there's also a post about covering your cake with ganache under the fondant to achieve that perfect look:
http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

I am so happy you put this up! What a great tutorial. I can't wait to try it out!

tipsytaartje Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 13

Krystal0611, I think it's cheaper to order your things within Europe, You can save a lot of shipping and tax costs. And even some products are cheaper in Europe. Take a look at apieceofcakethame.co.uk or deleukstetaartenshop.nl there are many more, but I's for sure these web-shops will send to Italy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%