How Do I Get A True Black Frosting For Decorating

Baking By cowboy61s_girl Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm by leily

cowboy61s_girl Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 11

I just want a black trim around a couple letters for highlights but so far all I can get is a grayish color! Thank You

10 replies
poohsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 11

I usually start out with chocolate frosting and add black to that. Works pretty well.
Just make sure the recipient knows there is choc. involved in case there are any allergies, etc.

SuzyNoQ Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 11

I have read here countless times to start with chocolate or color it brown first.

kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 11

Yep, start with chocolate, add black--and then let it sit overnight. It will darken as it sits.

cowboy61s_girl Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 11

thank you everyone I really apprecite it

ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 11

If you can't use chocolate icing, just do not use Wilton black. It takes a ton of wilton gel to get dark colors. Americolor paste is very concentrated and gets dark.

MessMaker Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

If you can't use chocolate icing, just do not use Wilton black. It takes a ton of wilton gel to get dark colors. Americolor paste is very concentrated and gets dark.

The americolors do get darker, But I just had my first go-around with Super BLACK frosting.

I still had to start from chocolate frosting, and let it sit over night to get a true black color.

So in my opinion, Just adding the black coloring is not enough.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:42pm
post #8 of 11

If it's just for the outline why not purchase the Wilton pre-colored tubes. I've used it for black accents before with no problem. I wouldn't cover a cake in it icon_wink.gif but it worked great for little details.

ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 11

I agree about using the chocolate...I've just had customers who did not want any chocolate icing on their cake.

pinkjacs Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 11

hello, I took my white fondant took it brown then black but it still needed a lot of black colour, I have also painted it on with glaze and colour mix

leily Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I agree about using the chocolate...I've just had customers who did not want any chocolate icing on their cake.

And I have customers that can't have chocolate (life or death situation) I start with brown if I have a large amount to color. But typically I need just a cup or less of black buttercream so I use Super Black from Americolor. Takes a few squirts and it gets pretty dark. Not necessarily black right away, but I can use it and it will darken on the cake (just did this for a cake on Saturday and by sunday when it was served it was black)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%