How Do I Make A Cake Shiney?

Decorating By skinnyminx Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm by Jillfcs

skinnyminx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skinnyminx Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 4

hi ive to make the red car from cars walt disney any ideas on how to make the fondant really shinny and smooth ive used confectionary glaze before for things but its not that shinny????

3 replies
crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 4

You can try steaming it with one of those handheld clothes steamers. In a pinch, you can try a tea kettle's steam. From what I hear, be careful....you don't want to leave the steam in any one spot for too long or your fondant will melt. Good luck and please post pics!

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 4

Attending a class of topsy turvy cakes the teacher used Pam spray about 6-7" from the cake (the fondant was gold matte). Then she used a sponge and rubbed it (the Pam sprayed) all over. You can test this first in a piece of the red fondant. HTH.

Jillfcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jillfcs Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 4

I give my fondant-covered cakes a quick, light steam with a handheld clothes steamer just to clean it up. When I want an entire fondant-covered cake to be shiny, I steam it in coats until it reaches the desired result. When I want just a figure or piece to be shiny, I paint it with a thin layer of piping gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%