Educate Me About Cake Coolers...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm by imagenthatnj

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:45am
post #1 of 12

Hi Cakers! icon_biggrin.gif

One day I plan on opening my own little cake shop. I am aware that cake coolers are a must! How is a cake cooler different from a fridge?

Placing a cake in a fridge tends to dry your cake out faster. Also, taking a cake from a fridge/cooler to a room temp. I thought was a no no when talking about cake bubbles forming under icing??? How is a cooler different from a fridge?

Please help me out and explain this to me for those who have coolers.

Thanks,
Michael

11 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 10:00am
post #2 of 12

for me it depends on wat am i using it with. i use wilton colors .. with buttercream the colors tend to stay the same with me. but with fondant when the fondant dries out the color gets darker..

hope this helps

Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 12

I would pm indydebi, I have seen her compare and contrast residential fridge vs. commercial and convention oven vs. convection oven. I bet she could help you with cOOler vs. fridge. good luck.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 12

Coolers or colors? What are you askin'?

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 12

I'm assuming that a cake cooler is a glass display case used in the retail portion of your shop. At least that is the way it worked for me.

Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Coolers or colors? What are you askin'?

Are you asking this becuase of the comment from Nusi? My question is in regards to coolers not colors.

Thanks for the input!

thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 12

Yep, just clarifying. I didn't understand why you got an answer about colors when you asked about coolers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 12

I never refrigerate my cakes, so I'm not much help on this one. That said, I have read on here from bakers who have shops about low or zero humidity 'frigs or coolers (?) designed just for cakes.

Are you needing coolers to display completed cakes or to store cakes in progress?

Mikel79 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I never refrigerate my cakes, so I'm not much help on this one. That said, I have read on here from bakers who have shops about low or zero humidity 'frigs or coolers (?) designed just for cakes.

Are you needing coolers to display completed cakes or to store cakes in progress?

I really don't care to have one. But, from my understanding it is a requirement from the Health Dept. to have a cooler in a cake bakery??? Maybe I am wrong. I am to double check.

Thanks,
Michael

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

I really don't care to have one. But, from my understanding it is a requirement from the Health Dept. to have a cooler in a cake bakery??? Maybe I am wrong. I am to double check.

Thanks,
Michael

You might check the specifics of your health dept. Of course I would be asking why I had to put a cake in a cooler when a cake DOESN'T need to be in a cooler? icon_confused.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 12

Yes. I've read everywhere it's a requirement for bakeries. I first read it in an interview with Warren Brown.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2005/12/06/DI2005120600489.html

As a customer, I hate that requirement with a passion, despise cold cake... and then waiting for it to come to room temperature is torture. I don't remember where, but I think there's a bakery in New York City where they put your cake in a warming tray while you pay for it, so that it's not too cold when you walk to your table.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%