Can I Triple Cake Batter???...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:43am
post #1 of 8

Hi Cakers!! icon_biggrin.gif

In Sharon Zambito Back to Basics DVD she has the WASC recipe from this website. When I double that recipe in my KA 5 qt. mixer, it comes almost to the top of it. I can fill two 10" circle pans with no problem.

She also has a durable cake recipe in that booklet as well, which I prefer. However, it barley comes halfway in the mixer bowl. I cannot fill two 10" pans.

Can I triple this? If not, once I make one batch and pour in the pans, can that batter sit in the pans until I make another batch of batter???

Thanks,
Michael

7 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:57am
post #2 of 8

i always tdouble /triple quadrouple my cake recipies as needed. nothing stopping u from doing so. i think most cake recipies can be the only exception i hear is a sponge cake.

Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 8

Thank You!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 8

There is a little chemistry involved. All is explained in the front of The Cake Bible by RBL.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 8

I always triple batches. NEVER had a problem. Soooo, go make it easy
on yourself and do it once instead of 2 or 3 times!!! icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

I always triple batches. NEVER had a problem. Soooo, go make it easy
on yourself and do it once instead of 2 or 3 times!!! icon_smile.gif

Glad to hear others do it with no problem!

Leah, I have the book. I will go and take a look.

Thank you

Michael

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8

I haven't had issues doubling or tripling recipes using cake mixes. The only thing that would be a concern is if it would fit in the bowl. If it only fills half the bowl you should be okay adding one more.

We have a jam cake we do every every year for Christmas and one year I had decided that I would double the recipe and do bake twice as many(had two ovens), since we make many to give away. The original recipe makes two bundt cakes, but I was like hey I have the 6q bowl, this should be fine. Wrong! Of course by the time I got to the point that I figured out it wouldn't work there wasn't much I could do besides find a bigger bowl and pull out the hand mixer.

I'd multiply up slowly up until you learn what the bowl holds. I've had to do that with buttercream recipes and powder sugar. icon_smile.gif

Mikel79 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I haven't had issues doubling or tripling recipes using cake mixes. The only thing that would be a concern is if it would fit in the bowl. If it only fills half the bowl you should be okay adding one more.

We have a jam cake we do every every year for Christmas and one year I had decided that I would double the recipe and do bake twice as many(had two ovens), since we make many to give away. The original recipe makes two bundt cakes, but I was like hey I have the 6q bowl, this should be fine. Wrong! Of course by the time I got to the point that I figured out it wouldn't work there wasn't much I could do besides find a bigger bowl and pull out the hand mixer.

I'd multiply up slowly up until you learn what the bowl holds. I've had to do that with buttercream recipes and powder sugar. icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%