So Irritated (Very Long)

Decorating By beesweetcakes Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 9:09am by beesweetcakes

beesweetcakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:07am
post #1 of 4

First let me start off and say that I have only been doing cakes for one month. OK, so I had a customer that wanted a birthday cake for her husband. She came to my house for a consultation with a sketch already drawn up. I think, "OK, cool, she knows what she wants." She wanted a the Burberry design on a cake with her husband watch going across it. I thought then, that was a little weird, but hey that's what the customer wants and that's what she gets.She also stated that her family are not cake eaters, so I suggested something a little smaller than what she wanted. To no avail she wanted a 2 layer 12x18. She emails me a picture a few days later with a photo of the watch and even apologizes for the "bluriness" of the photo and stated that she hoped that I could make it sharper. Hello, I am not a professional photographer. I called her and told her that there was nothing that I could do to fix the photo. She said, "OK, do your best. I know you'll do a fabulous job. All of your cakes look great.

Fast forward to pick up day. She walks into my kitchen a proceeds to tell me everything that she thought was wrong with it. Here is the list:
1. the watch is not silver enough. I told her in the consultation that I did not have an airbrush device. I did use gray fondant and painted silver luster dust over it.
2. the watch face was not etched like a real watch. Hello, it's made our of fondant. I did etch all of the details that I could see on the blurry photo
3. the cake was way too big

She paid and left.
Now fast forward to day after. Here are her complaints.

1. the cake flavor was not "mind blowing." It tasted like a spice/pumpkin cake. (They are very similar with all of the spices. I had real carrots and raisins in there.)
2.the fondant tasted TOO good. It was way to smooth and rich. Did she really just complain that my fondant was too good.
3. too much cake. "We did try a sliver but are giving the rest away." I'm thinking whatever.

I was supposed to do a baby shower cake for her next weekend. Surprise, surprise, she cancelled today. I say good riddance.

Thanks for letting me vent. I would attach a picture of the cake but my Mac is not letting me. I am computer challenged.

3 replies
Apti Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:21am
post #2 of 4

I don't know what you are venting about. After all, it was obviously your fault for making the fondant too good. icon_confused.gif

Sometimes there's just not a thing you can do but shake your head....

Nusi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:23am
post #3 of 4

yes its good reddince!! they always do the same they want a 2 layer but not much cake!! hey why didnt you use a dummy cake for either the top of the buttom? dont tell me she didnt want that either!
i had a person once complain about my best chocolate cake recipie saying its too moist?!

beesweetcakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:09am
post #4 of 4

She was very specific and wanted everything to be edible. I wish I could post a picture. I thought it turned out pretty good considering that I am completely self taught and I've only been doing this for about a month as far a charging for my cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%