Need Help Planning A Lego Rock Monster Cake . . .

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 22 Sep 2010 , 12:57am by fruitsnack

fruitsnack Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 4

My son has asked for a Lego rock monster cake for his 6th birthday. For reference (hoping this link works . . . ) here's a picture of the one he wants:

He wants the cake to be a standing version of this toy. I searched and found a few in the gallery, but most weren't the entire figure - most of them were bursting out of a lower cake layer.

Luckily, this cake won't have to travel and will probably only be for 10 or so people.

Also wanted to add that I use buttercream, but would be okay with fondant accents.

Any advice on how to create the structure for this cake? The toy has a movable head - it moves up and down from the jaw. He said he would *like* to have the mouth open - is there a way to tilt the top head portion and not have it fall off?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

3 replies
cherrycakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #2 of 4

Have you thought of using rice krispie treats for the bottom half of the cake and legs? You could then use cake (like an 8" and half ball ) for the top half and cover it all in modeling chocolate. Hopefully someone else can offer advice about the moving mouth! Good luck and I'll look forward to seeing a picture!

fruitsnack Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 4

I thought about making at least the legs out of PVC pipe and wrapping rice krispie treats or modeling chocolate over them, then having a second base to put the cake body on. Still kind of stumped on how to do the arms and the tipped back head.

Any other thoughts?

fruitsnack Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 12:57am
post #4 of 4

Help! Any other help for the structure of this cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%