Help With Neon (Fluorescent) Colors For Fondant

Decorating By Jackofallcakes Updated 23 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm by Jackofallcakes

Jackofallcakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 13

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make neon colors for fondant? I know how to color fondant with the coloring but how do you get neon colors?? I have a cake order for a 13th b-day party and the girl loves bright colors. Im looking to make lime green, hot pink, bright orange, and bright purple. I can probably use the Wilton pack of pre-made fondant for the purple, pink, orange, and yellow, but I would really like to make them brighter. Any ideas???

12 replies
kimbordeaux Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 13

Americolor makes neon colors. They work great, don't have to use much. This is what I use.

FatAndHappy Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 13

Lime green is the easiest - Lots of lemon yellow then slowly add leaf or kelly green. ChefMaster is great for the pink but the purple is terrible. Mix sky blue and Royal blue a little at a time for the brighter blue.

Hope this helps!!

Jackofallcakes Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you! I just checked them out online. That is exactly what I need!!

Saluna Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 13

I used the Duff colors... the neon pink, green, purple and blue and they turned out great.

Jackofallcakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 13

Saluna, Ho eexpensive are the Duff products? Was it worth it?

Herekittykitty Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 13

Americolors Electrics. Perfect bright colors evertime.

Saluna Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 13
Originally Posted by Jackofallcakes

Saluna, Ho eexpensive are the Duff products? Was it worth it?

I can't remember.. I know that I bought them when I had a 50% off coupon at Michaels. Maybe like $3 or $4 with the coupon. They dont sell Americolor anywhere here.. so it was cheaper than me ordering it and paying shipping online.

Jackofallcakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 6:09pm
post #9 of 13

Does anyone know if you can use neon liquid food coloring or should it be the paste?

Herekittykitty Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 13

You can use the liquid colors but depending on how much you use it may make your fondant a bit sticky; which can be remedied by working in a bit more PS.

Remember to let your fondant sit for a couple of hours-overnight after adding color, they will deepen over time.

sillychef Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:19am
post #11 of 13

I don't know if you have been able to find any yet- but I thought I might throw in if you have trouble finding the americana ones... I got some at my local Smiths/Kroger- they are in little tubes by cakemate I believe, but our Michaels was out and I was in a pinch- the colors are AWESOME! Almost "glow in the dark", if you will. There is a green, pink, purple, and orange, and all of them are awesome. I haven't used them with fondant yet... sorry I have only used it for buttercream thus far ... but it is a gel consistency, just like the Wilton colors, just in a tube form. If you can't find the others- these work FANTASTIC! (and they are between 3 and 4 dollars for the box of 4 tubes) They are somewhat small, but mine have lasted a while- and a little goes a long way! Good luck and happy hunting!!!! icon_smile.gif

G_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:08am
post #12 of 13

Americolor...only thing I use and dont need much and variety of colors!

Jackofallcakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone! Very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%