Calibrating Ovens

Decorating By Tea42 Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 3:11am by Tea42

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 5

I have a relative new and expensive oven and never thought that I needed to check the temp. (I am a hobby baker.)

Yesterday I was buying supplies and came across an oven Thermometer and thought, why not.

I can't belive my eyes, icon_eek.gif I started at 325 and it did not read near the 300 mark, I have to set my oven to 380 before the guage read 325. I would never have thought. My cakes seamed to be baking at the normal time + a few.

4 replies
Tea42 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 5

Now what? I just went to check on the cake and it reads 380, how did that happen? I had waited a few minutes after the beep to check the reading the first time.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 5

If it is under warranty they will come and fix it. The repairman showed me how to adjust the display to the right temperature. Mine was off 10 degrees at every temp, so we just changed the display to match the true temp. If it is not holding the temp, that is definitely a repair job. All ovens come on and off to maintain temp, from 10 to as much as 25 degrees as the variance. Most expensive ovens have very good customer support online and by phone. It is so frustrating to get ready to bake and the temp fluctuates.

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 5

What kind of oven? I have had over 10 service calls on mine for similar problems.

Tea42 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:11am
post #5 of 5

Kenmore smooth top with self-cleaning racks. It does appear to be doing better. Maybe the guage just needed to be primed! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%