Stumped! (A Little Long, Sorry)

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm by HobbyCaker

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

I recently went back to work for the store bakery I worked for years ago, this time just as the cake decorator, very part time!

They have never had an airbrush, edible images or used fondant, all of which I now own and do myself from home for family, and somewhat feel comforatble with, they do not want to move ahead, very old school, this is a very small town, I decorate about 5-10 sheet cakes a week, ordered and for the case, some cupcakes and small 4" cakes. All decorations are hand done in butter cream or better cream. I unfortunately am a mediocre artist! I can draw a little and do FBCT, make the typical rose and other flowers.

But.....

I am finding it very difficult to come up with ideas to put on the cakes, especially the ones for MEN! icon_mad.gif Roses just don't fit! They do not take detailed orders, customers seem to say whatever you think would look nice, so without any type of reference books or standard images available to me there, I am just stumped!!!

Any easy to execute ideas? I have gone through the galleries and gotten some ideas, pm'd a few CCr's for permission to incorporate some of their designs. All have been great and said yes, and I thank them! icon_biggrin.gif

Any inspiration would be greatly appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 5

Stripes or dots are always quick and easy.
Confetti, ballons and sprinkles.
Sports - different balls around the time of different tournaments.
Roses/ flowers might not work but autum leaves and pumpkins will, holly over Xmas.
Can you use candies on them?
xx

HobbyCaker Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I can use candies, sprinkles etc.

Totally forgot about stripes! See you have already given me hope!

Thank you! For the ideas!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

I've recently read about some bakeries that specialize in cupcakes for men. They were pretty neat plaids, stripes, camo You might want to check those out for ideas.

HobbyCaker Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks again for the replies.

I genuinly appreciate any and all responses, and both so far have been very helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%